Hiratoshi saku ??

dwmc

Hiratoshi saku? is the inscription on one the Kai-gunto swords in my collection. Until recently, I just assumed it was the signature of a sword smith whom at least had something to do with the construction of the blade at the Toyokawa naval arsenal. The name appears in Ohmura's Gunto site, as well as Mr. Malcolm Cox's recent article regarding Kai-gunto naval swords. In Mr. Cox's article (which is excellent) the Hiratoshi kanji is listed as possibly Hei Shun saku, Taira Shun saku, or Taira Toshi saku. Would anyone happen to have any idea of which is correct translation ???

Any information (even speculative) would be greatly appreciated...

Dave M.

20210131_110326 (2).jpg

20210202_143622 (3).jpg

10 hours ago, Nobody said:

However, that also reads Tsunetoshi or Sanetoshi.

Only the person himself knows the correct reading.

Interesting...two more variants ! I think I'll assume it's intention was the preferred reading as you suggested being "Hiratoshi."

Thank you again Moriyma !

• 6 months later...
On 9/7/2021 at 7:33 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

Dave,

Any numbers or other stamps on this nakago?  Could I get a shot of the nakago full length, for the files?

These are photo's I have on file Bruce, I can take others if you would like. Yes, there is a number 2 also stamped on the nakago.

Dave M.

20210131_110326 (5).jpg

20210131_105741 (2).jpg

Thanks Dave, quite interesting.  This is one of those that mystifies me.  Painted numbers, which should be from the fitting shop to match up the koshirae pieces, so what is the stamped number?  Do any of the metal fittings have numbers?

Here is another of his, almost identical, but with a stamped number up in the mei:

post-5307-0-46333200-1583987715_thumb.jpeg

14 hours ago, dwmc said:

all of the seppa and tsuba have the matching number of 98.

Just as I suspected!  See, even the stamped numbers on the kaigunto are something other than fitter shop numbers.  The painted 98 on your blade matches the fittings, so that number is the fitter shop numbering.  The "2" on the blade is something else, yet to be determined.  In the case of the stamped numbers on RJT blades, I personally believe it is put there by the Army, reasons still unknown.  George Trotter is currently leaning toward a polisher stamp.

Thanks for the update.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..