Darcy's current tosogu listings

Sometimes it is necessary to take a break from average fittings, cast repros and worn out mediocrity and remind ourselves of what top level stuff looks like. Puts things into perspective.

It is just a refresher for the eyes and allows us to better judge some of the things that we tend to value higher than they perhaps really are.
In other words, here is some mind blowing eye candy. Most of us will never be able to afford such items, but doesn't hurt to study them and appreciate the art of metalwork.
Have a look. His current listings are particularly impressive (if you are not into the old iron subtle style)
https://yuhindo.com/fittings-for-sale/

Takes my breath away. Especially those Ishiguro F/K for me.

• Like 9

What a beauty, thanks for sharing here. 

The sort of sublime work that makes me want to dip into Tosogu. We should create a new thread and post a best-off from the old one, along with new pieces and links. It was one of my favorite threads too. 

Thanks for the reminder Brian :thumbsup:  Darcy has fantastic tosogu that is rarely seen outside of DTI and high-level Japanese collections.  Michael, your fuchigashira is breathtaking - truly amazing how they can convey so much in such a tiny space - the birds' postures and expressions are masterful true art.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

Devil advocate says massively over priced! IMHO

Ok, I’ll bite. Many of his items are fairly unique (at least in the West) and so it’s potentially a case of Darcy being able to set his own price. Do you have any examples you can quote? (Just so I know where to look if I get my hands on that kind of money). 😬

I think if you look at some of the top end dealers in Japan you would be surprised at how reasonable Darcy's stuff is in comparison. Certainly with regard to swords, which I am much more comfortable assessing, I have seen Tokyo dealers typically running at 30-40% more than the equivalent on Yuhindo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Shugyosha said:

Ok, I’ll bite. Many of his items are fairly unique (at least in the West) and so it’s potentially a case of Darcy being able to set his own price. Do you have any examples you can quote? (Just so I know where to look if I get my hands on that kind of money). 😬

John, the prices are on Darcy’s website.

For comparison, at that level of quality, look at the prices at Iida san’s website , Iida Koendo.

• Thanks 1

Personally I think the prices are fair and market based, for what you are dealing with. We don't focus discussions around pricing here anyways, so let's drop the subject and focus on the quality. They will find buyers anyways. We are all small fry. The big buyers hardly blink when they spend that money.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

John, the prices are on Darcy’s website.

For comparison, at that level of quality, look at the prices at Iida san’s website , Iida Koendo.

Michael,

Obviously I know what Darcy’s prices are. I assumed Stephen may have done a comparison  of specific similar items in order to draw his conclusion.

Mark,

They are best regarded as a piece of art. What distinguishes good fittings from the ordinary is a combination of materials, composition and level of skill. Some of the finest metal workers to exist, not only in Japan but world wide were making the fittings for swords. Take a look at some of the examples here and on websites such as Darcy's and you can see the incredible skill employed in their manufacture. It is much like visiting a gallery of fine paintings.

• Like 3

Darcy's offerings are truly top-shelf.  Thanks, Brian, for starting this thread.  You're right, we do need to expose ourselves to high(est)-level items, whether in blades or tosogu, lest we begin to see the merely good as great, and the "merely" great as magnificent.  In fittings, Darcy does favor the soft-metal side of things; however, he occasionally throws a bone to some of the early iron works.  Fortunately for me. :)   https://yuhindo.com/nobuie/

fullsizeoutput_c52.thumb.jpeg.c37938208610cba1d480735ca5f965f3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Steve Waszak said:

In fittings, Darcy does favor the soft-metal side of things; however, he occasionally throws a bone to some of the early iron works.  Fortunately for me. :)   https://yuhindo.com/nobuie/

I always enjoy seeing that one and appreciate Darcy leaving the listing information up.

Someday please give us a mimi and angled perspective, or let RKG give it his 360 cam treatment?

On 2/8/2021 at 4:11 AM, paulb said:

I think if you look at some of the top end dealers in Japan you would be surprised at how reasonable Darcy's stuff is in comparison. Certainly with regard to swords, which I am much more comfortable assessing, I have seen Tokyo dealers typically running at 30-40% more than the equivalent on Yuhindo. 

Being a buyer of only very high end tosogu, Darcy’s prices are actually fairly reasonable. Especially compared to Iidakoendo or other sites. 

• Like 1

Hello, 

I would like to educate myself about kozuka, do you guys have good articles to read please ? Because watching masterpieces sublime work from yuhindo without knowledge is a bit useless. 

Also I'd like to buy these but I don't know what is the real value. 

Thank you

Screenshot_13.png

All low quality Meiji pressed brass pieces, mated with cutlery. Value is whatever you think is fair, but don't buy them as fantastic kozuka. Buy them as interesting examples of what makers did once they couldn't make sword fittings anymore. I'd guess about $600-750 for all?

Thank you Brian, the seller wants 290$ for them so I think it is a good deal. I know they are not fantastic but they look to be good exemples of intersting kozukas. Is it difficult to date them ? I would be glad to educate myself. 

Thank you for your comment Pietro. 

30 minutes ago, Karu said:

Oh ok I see thank you for your comments. I will have to get more experience. 

As a starting point for sword fittings (especially later, soft-metal ones) this book is cheap, easily available and has great pictures:

https://www.amazon.fr/Lethal-Elegance-Samurai-Sword-Fittings/dp/0878467750/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..