UMETADA TSUBA to discuss

Marc BROQUIN

1318755014_DSC_1376(9).jpg.a08095f8666c5298167dbe6aa30f1cc9.jpgHello everybody,1030885471_DSC_1376(10).jpg.e95ae7c4062fffe128e0b257c7557482.jpg

I just post this later UMETADA TSUBA searching for infos about signature which is not so common :

UMETADA HEN  TACHIBANA SHIGEYOSHI SAKU

An idea about the tanko/kinko tsubako ? Something around 1800/1850 AD ? or older ?

All the idea are welcome.

Best

Marc

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thanks to Bruno for the research of connected signatures. This Shigeyoshi on KINKO MEIKAN page 158 top left seems effectively corresponding to the one above. When I check on the Haynes book (The index of Japanese Sword Fittings and associated artists),the first comming TACHIBANA SHICHIZAEMON SHIGEYOSHI (H.08573.0)  is given around 1625. The next one (H.08576.0) is cited around 1700

As written, this SHIGEYOSHI was said to have taken the UMETADA school from KYOTO to EDO;

But : the many various signatures of UMETADA SHIGEYOSHI are not defined  or understood  fully at this time.

In my opinion, this tsuba doesn't seem to correspond to 1625 era but later, obviously after 1750.

So the question is still pending .....

Many thanks by advance for the efforts.

Best

Marc

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..