Shipping a sword from Australia to USA

Hi guys 

I have finally found someone who will send my blade to Japan to get a bohi carved.  What I wanted to know is what is the best way to send a sword to the usa from Australia? I've read many carriers don't accept swords, and the package may be too long to be sent through Australia post. ( over 105cm)

Anyone with experience sending swords from Australia please let me know your experience 

Jeremy 

From the USA to France. As far as I can remember, the description I asked for was something along "antique Japanese sword". But I added a lot of papers, COA, full description of content, PayPal invoice, tariff code written on the box and, when available, a link to the original web page for them to have a look at the item. I did everything I could to smooth things up with customs.

From memory, shipping was around $90.

8 minutes ago, 16k said:

From the USA to France. As far as I can remember, the description I asked for was something along "antique Japanese sword". But I added a lot of papers, COA, full description of content, PayPal invoice, tariff code written on the box and, when available, a link to the original web page for them to have a look at the item. I did everything I could to smooth things up with customs.

From memory, shipping was around $90.

Thanks for all that information.  I hope its smooth sailing for me when it comes time to ship. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..