Tsuba looking for info

Julian

Well, not Higo. The Edo Myochin used a mokume gitae iron technique of which your tsuba is reminiscent of,  but is much more pronounced making me think of something modern. The Edo Myochin focused on their plate and not so much on carving decoration, and so I feel that it neither Higo or Myochin. 

• Like 1

There is an almost identical guard here on Jauce,  https://www.jauce.com/auction/q429219730

Julien the identical placement of the tagane-ato punch marks is a very worrying sign - makes it very likely to be a copied fake.

There is no doubt in my mind that both examples are copies at best - mass produced copies at worst.

image.thumb.png.aebaa593ef82e9f3cb6ea01177add98e.png

• Thanks 1

Geraint you are certainly right, one on it's own is a maybe - three all with the same imprints around the nakago-ana  that is definitely a series of fakes, darn good fakes at that. What are the chances though that they all turn up on the same week? The small amounts of 'gilding' are not identical so they are three individual pieces, not doubling up as sometimes happens when a dealer sells on two sites at once. Is it worth telling Diamyou54eb that he is selling a fake?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..