Unsure where this belongs / Japanese axe

Really weird/unique axe apparently found in Japan. I am not sure where this topic belongs. It was here or the izakaya. But I suppose it was made by a Japanese sword smith. I think it is pretty neat. More likely something ceremonial opposed to actual use in combat.

• Like 3

Interestingly enough that seems to be more Indian than Chinese inspired to me.

I am not sure how to take it, but there is a bizarre fact that according to PhDs analyzing Nambokucho period casualty reports, which are very detailed - there are almost no cases of anyone ever being killed by a naginata, but axes are a very common cause. 

3 hours ago, kissakai said:

Some amazing artifacts on the page link

These were on the NMB list a few weeks ago

00031 Jūyō Bunkazai Axe
00133 Jūyō Bunkazai Axe

Hi Grev, I'm not sure I understand what you posted. I searched the reddit page for anything 'Japanese'  but didn't see any other axes.

Edit: it appears the one in the opening post is quite famous and called 'Nyuubu Ono 入峰斧'.

More detailed photos here: https://www.narahaku.go.jp/collection/659-0.html

Thanks for the link Reid(?).

Thanks for posting this Axel. Unfortunately I missed this axe the first two times when I browsed the Japanese Cultural Database. I only found two Bunkazai axes when I now realize there are 3 of them.

I think this is absolutely remarkable item. Practical in form as many axes you see in Japan are so decorated and not for real use.

Here is the Cultural database entry for this axe: https://kunishitei.bunka.go.jp/heritage/detail/201/5543 It says Kamakura for the age but Nara National Museum has Nanbokuchō to Muromachi for the age.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..