Hamon style opinions

MHC

Hello all,

In my never ending attempt to learn more, what do you feel is the most accurate style of this Hamon.

I'm thinking predominately Gunome, but it also has some Toran traits.

Please let me know your learned opinions, thanks!

The pictures are very so-so, as the blade has a coating of light oil, so the light hits it always wrong. I won't be able to take better shots until I arrive in my new home in Thailand, as the blade is securely packed away for transport.

Mark

IMG_4293s.JPG

IMG_4291s.JPG

IMG_4296s.JPG

I am also a fan of suguha, or at least hamon largely based on suguha. In a really good Suguha hamon as seen in Yamashiro blades and later in good Hizen work there is a great deal of activity to see, it is just a lot more subtle and less obvious. It forces the observer to look more closely and therefore study the blade in more detail.

• Like 2

Mark,

I am sorry I read Grev's mail and responded to that without realising your question in the original post

Yes I agree with you I think Gunome/toran is as good a description as any. What you cant see in the images is how broad or tight the nioiguchi is or what activity, if any is within the hamon

The blade is actually in fresh Japanese polish, but a heavy coat of oil {for protection during shipping} and poor pictures, really doesn't make it appear that way....so sorry.

The entire Hamon is actually very white, and is hiding details that could otherwise be seen with a different type of polishing style. The current Japanese trend for this very white "look", is not my personal preference, but I bought the blade this way, and so it will stay.

Later on once I'm in Thailand, I will clean off the oil and practice getting far better close up pictures, if I manage to pull that off, I'll share.

Thanks for the replies!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again all,

Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the "over whitening" either, but it is what it is, as it is in full current new Japanese polish {bought it that way}.

Blade dated August 1692 for your edification.

Thanks.

Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..