Fatal or Not?

Hello,

I was recently looking over what appears to be a late Muromachi, or early Shinto Wakizashi. When I noticed what looks to be a fatal flaw, on the Mune of the Kissaki. The owner thinks it is just Mune ware.

I also noticed an area in the Ji of the Boshi, that also had me concerned.

Please know, I am not buying this sword, the buyer did not pay much and this is purely a discussion and study piece.

The piece is a bit tired, but balance and Sori are nice.

If you would please, your thoughts?

20210130_171354.jpg

Dear Eric.

If I am seeing what you refer to then are we looking at the delamination in the mune near the kissaki?  If so then the marks on the kissaki do appear to relate to that.  It looks like a forging flaw, a part of the blade where the weld between layers was not completed well.  It's a little ugly but not what would usually be called fatal in that it does not significantly impair the blades functionality.

It may be that this flaw was not visible on the blade originally but has become exposed by subsequent polishes.  It is probably part of the reason that the blade did not cost much. 

All the best.

Thank you Geriant, Bryan, and Paul. At first I though delam, however, it is pretty deep and has crisp edges. To me it looks like a stress fracture that someone tried to polish out. I am not sure I would swing this blade as it is at the backside of the strike area; even the slightest slip of the wrist would in my opinion break the blade.

Here is a close up , for Bob.

20210131_171550.jpg

If, after the close up the consensus is not fatal, I will change my opinion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..