Insight on weird futokoromono

PhoenixDude

Hello all, Its been a while since I posted but I have a piece here that I purchased pre covid at the SFO show in 2019 and would like some insight and/or opinions on it. I purchased this and it seemed like a legitimate piece at first glance, with very finely made details and mixed gilding, but when I got it home and started looking at the details up close with a loupe I noticed a few oddities.

Fig 1 & 2 are overall photos of the front and back. The pieces seem to be traditionally constructed and not cast, the elements seem to be integrated with the base and the nanako seems to go 'around' the base of the elements in places (See kogai detail 2). Both pieces are non magnetic.
Fig 3 & 4 are close ups of the work on the kogai and kozuka respectively. note that on closer inspection, one can begin to see where the gilding is showing on the nanako on the bottom left edge of the kogai in Fig 3, and there are some 'shiny' spots in the nanako on the left side of the kozuka in fig 4.
Notice more of this 'overrun' on the edges of the phoenix element in the kogai closeups 1, 2, and 3

Upon further inspection, examples of this overrun can be seen in multiple other places on the piece, as well as places where the nanako seems gilded, and did not become black (Top right of kogai detail 1, top of kogai detail 6, top right of kogai detail 7, top of kozuka detail 3 and 7)
I have considered that the nanako may have been colored in by a metalworking markup dye called dyekem, but I have tested a sample of dykem on a similar surface and it does not seem to be the case.

All of this leads me to a few possible scenarios in order of my perceived likelihood:

1. This is a modern fake.

2. This could be a genuine original piece that originally had a gold nanako background, that was 'colored' in later by a owner or dealer.

3. this could be a genuine antique piece, with a construction method that I am unaware of and have never seen nor heard of.

All photos can be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ocTp54uHSH8EIH8EX5K-ZPIf8ak5908n?usp=sharing

These pieces look very finely detailed in hand and the photographs do not really capture that very well.

What are your thoughts regarding these? 

Thanks for your input,
-B.S.

• Thanks 1

I can see the photos note. Unfortunately, I  do not like what can see. You pointed out things that should not be there. I have seen pieces glued to a Kogai before. This may be a very new piece of work. It reminds me of the old saying. "Good from far, but far from good."

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

Do not involved in items with any of these signs. This is a shame, but you have gained hands-on knowledge.

鳳凰図鍔.jpg

Azuma-san,
These pictures are a great illustration, thank you.
The piece I have isn't so blatant, as it does not have any visible casting seams or bubbles, and the details on the motif elements much finer than this example, but the areas you highlighted in the bottom of your example are exactly like what is seen on these. The nanako is also 'soft' looking as in your example too. perhaps the base was cast and the motif elements added on top?

• Like 1

Good old sword show swindle. 

Burning newcomers like this is just vile. Now you paid your due, you paid the protection money. Next step is to setup your stand and pass this swindle onto the next guy. Rinse and repeat until everyone gets burned.  

Harder to pull off these days because reputation tends to be sticky with the advent of the internet. 

No matter what I write, it doesn't help you anymore. However, I’d like to use this opportunity to will be a lesson for others.
Items made with the same mold have repeatedly appeared in Japan, these may be alone or in combination with tsuba as I posted.
In the case of a set, the damage actually occurs in units of thousands of dollars. Please be careful, too.

フェイク鳳凰図笄.jpg

鳳凰図大小鍔.jpg

• Thanks 3

I go the SF show every year but I take my Optivisor and I know what to look for. If you know there are bad apples at the show you should name them here and save others from making the same mistake. It’s sure easier to evaluate tosogu in person than online.

5 hours ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

No matter what I write, it doesn't help you anymore. However, I’d like to use this opportunity to will be a lesson for others.
Items made with the same mold have repeatedly appeared in Japan, these may be alone or in combination with tsuba as I posted.
In the case of a set, the damage actually occurs in units of thousands of dollars. Please be careful, too.

フェイク鳳凰図笄.jpg

Azuma-san,

Where did you find this photo? Its an exact copy of the one I bought almost.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:23 PM, 1kinko said:

I go the SF show every year but I take my Optivisor and I know what to look for. If you know there are bad apples at the show you should name them here and save others from making the same mistake. It’s sure easier to evaluate tosogu in person than online.

Yup, this is when I learned to bring a jewelers loupe with me to any event. The sellers name is Fred Geyer btw.

I have bought several things from Fred over the years. I have been pleased with all of them. I have always considered him one of the good guys. He offered to pay for the shinsa fees, if the set fails. Take him up on the offer. It is like someone selling a blade with a guarantee  that it will pass shinsa. I have purchased swords with such a guarantee and offered a sword with that guarantee. 

• 9 months later...

Kudos to Fred, for sticking to his word. That is the important thing here.
Many respected and old-time collectors and dealers aren't well versed on this level of modern fakes. I expect when many of us did our learning and main collecting, these weren't as much of an issue, and we now have a bit of "modern fakery" catching up to do.
It's sad. But how a seller handles the sale is the important part, and Fred stepped up here.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, b.hennick said:

I have bought several things from Fred over the years. I have been pleased with all of them. I have always considered him one of the good guys. He offered to pay for the shinsa fees, if the set fails. Take him up on the offer. It is like someone selling a blade with a guarantee  that it will pass shinsa. I have purchased swords with such a guarantee and offered a sword with that guarantee. 

As I wrote in February, Fred Geyer is a stand up guy. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..