Information about a kinko artist

zanilu

Dear all

I have recently acquired a NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon Yoshiro Zogan tsuba signed, as per  NBTHK paper, "Hiroshima Ju Ginza Chosuke".
According to the seller the signature is "Hiroshima Ju GINYA Chosuke". 

fitting-0115.thumb.jpg.134913cac6f685995b4ceffa80784dfe.jpg

fitting-0115-71.thumb.jpg.ec36407368afc49227e373021f45c2a4.jpg

I was not able to find any reference or information about the "Ginza Chosuke", but some about the "Ginya Chosuke" on the Kinko Jiten by Wakamatsu Homatsu.

chosuke-kinko_jiten-wakamatsu-01.thumb.jpg.ba8cbe838805cf236955a30cd59d9797.jpg

A rough translation of it is (please pitch in if you have a better one):

Chosuke

Living in Nagasaki, Japan.
Named Ginya Chosuke, carved in brass flat inlay on a round iron base in Yoshiro Zogan style.
Early Edo period.

So this "Ginya Chosuke" seems to be spot on for the tsuba. style
However I would like to hear your opinion about the NBTHK and seller attribution.

If any of you  have information about "Ginza Chosuke" or additional information about  "Ginya Chosuke" that you care to share I would be grateful.

Best Regards
Luca

• Like 3

Ciao Luca,

the seller explicitly stated that Ginza was an error in the appraisal paper:

鑑定書の「広島住 銀座長介」は「廣嶋住 銀屋長介」の誤記。-  "Hiroshima jū Ginza Chōsuke" in the appraisal is an error for "Hiroshima jū Gin'ya Chōsuke".

Sometime such errors happen, and I've found some in my records of NBTHK kaiteisho.

• Like 1

Ciao Mauro

The statement of the seller was clear to me. The piece is a fine one regardless of the paper and seller statement.

I was just trying to gather more information before accepting the possibility of an error ("shock horror in the rural Japan!") from the all knowing NBTHK.

Glad to hear that they are human too.

Luca

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..