First Tsuba - Tiger in bamboo

cju777

Hey Tosogu group-

First tsuba I got on its ow n merits , I do have one other that came with koshirae this group helped me to identify awhile back. I normally stick to blades to avoid another area of appreciation (or money drain , heh).  I always wanted a tiger piece and picked up this tsuba off Mr. Quirt while sword browsing. I have only a couple tosogu references, is this the kind of piece a school can be narrowed down to? Details from the listing were: early Momoyama or Muromachi, 7.65 cm x 7.436 cm x 5.24 at the mimi  the plate itself is approximately  2.5 cm. It's a nice piece in hand to take a look at, especially in good sunlight.

Cheers!

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,  At first glance there looked like casting marks around the rim - but on closer inspection I noticed the fukurin, nicely done at that, lighting is always a problem especially with old eyes. The crimping matches the iron rim, I bet it sets off the rest of the guard in sun light, I can't give a school but it looks some age and the skill level is excellent. Good find !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your feedback. Forgot that things can be added to tsuba over time, makes for an interesting history. Forgive me if its a common question here, how do tosogu shinsa account for such changes over the life of a piece? I was considering putting it in when I send a few blades to the NBTHK post-COVID postal concerns since I'll have something out anyways. Just to see what they have to say since I don't have a background in tsuba work but if it isn't worth the trouble then I will enjoy as is. 

Tried to use some sunlight for better detail shots... not sure if it helped. I'll need to search the forum so some threads on care.

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

Dear Chris.

A short while ago there was a thread discussing a tsuba that was for sale online.  The tsuba was papered but stated that the decoration on the tsuba was added later.  In that case the addition was quite evident.  I would imagine that a similar outcome would happen for your tsuba but it might not.  For what it's worth I don't think you have very much to gain from papering this one.

Enjoy!

All the best.

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark 

thanks.

Yes i think too the bamboo tree was added later or re-designed. Did you notice the closed hitsu ana? It looks nice made with the strokes.

The Tsuba was from the brussles paul de coninck collection. He added it in 1965. The collection was sold from Van Ham auctions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..