Show us your nice Gendai blades

IJASWORDS

On 8/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, Bazza said:

Stefan,

Without checking I'm sure I remember seeing the portrait of SUKEHIRO in Ono's GENDAI TOKO MEIKAN...

Nice sword, beautiful nakago and mei.

BaZZa.

Hi Baz,

Yes I checked and Tomita Sukehiro info and picture is on page 78 of Gendai Toko Meikan.

Brandon san,

Sorry to butt in but I think it is a mistake to re-polish that Sukehiro.

IMO it is better to have a WWII blade in a high quality sashi-komi WWII polish with a few scratches than an "altered" WWII blade with one of these awful, historically inappropriate modern ha-dori polishes.

Sorry, I'll shut up now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hey George,  no worries.  I personally prefer to see the better stuff in fresh pro polish than rushed wartime polish and 75 years of neglect.  To each his own.  I still have plenty of excellent blades in wartime polish that I most likely won't have polished.  Just trying to get the special ones done.  :)

Here are 2 Yasunori (Top - 1940, Bottom - 1934) I had done, but both badly needed saving.  One had been used for martial arts by a previous owner for years and was quite beat up.  Seems a lot of the activity is lost in the heavy hadori in the top blade.  The activity in the bottom blade is much easier to see and enjoy.

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

• Like 2

George and Brandon both make valid points. Pictured are 2 YASUNORI swords, a Kajiyama and a Kotani, both in war time polish. As they are not rusted, pitted or scratched, a few stains don't really bother me. I have left them in war time polish in original mounts because to me, they are as much a part of military history, as they are Nihonto. Left as they are, the next owner can decide what to do with them, the option is always there. 

If they were abused, I would agree with Brandon and get them polished. 

But agreeing with George, I have seen some Keisho polishes that look so un-natural, the swords would have never been intended to be polished that way.  

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a2.jpg

a1.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

A nice sword by Yamana Minamoto Tokiyoshi dated Meiji 1890 and specially made for Sagawa Akira. In good early Type 94 mounts with Sakura release button.

Very nice piece John, I wonder if it was originally made for Kyu gunto mounts given the time period.

• 4 months later...

Happy easter !!!

Its a pleasure for my eyes to see all that superb Gendaitos  you all have!!!

Thats give me the idea to post some pics of my humble Rinji Seishiki Nagamitsu 

Cant tell so much about Nagamitsu and never see a picture of him but like Neil said previously Nagamitsu was a sword maker for the Osaka army arsenal.....also i think that the kanji "Naga" have mostly 2 stroke but sometime 3 stroke and some said that with all that Nagamitsu blades found over the years Nagamitsu probably have some students who made and sign Nagamitsu and maybe this explain why some variation in the kanji "Naga"....defenitively Nagamitsu is a swordsmith that we dont know alot about and i hope that in  the futur we will discover more about him.....

20220417_145126.jpg

20220417_150210.jpg

20220417_150731.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rancho said:

Happy easter !!!

Its a pleasure for my eyes to see all that superb Gendaitos  you all have!!!

Thats give me the idea to post some pics of my humble Rinji Seishiki Nagamitsu 

Cant tell so much about Nagamitsu and never see a picture of him but like Neil said previously Nagamitsu was a sword maker for the Osaka army arsenal.....also i think that the kanji "Naga" have mostly 2 stroke but sometime 3 stroke and some said that with all that Nagamitsu blades found over the years Nagamitsu probably have some students who made and sign Nagamitsu and maybe this explain why some variation in the kanji "Naga"....defenitively Nagamitsu is a swordsmith that we dont know alot about and i hope that in  the futur we will discover more about him.....

20220417_145126.jpg

20220417_150210.jpg

20220417_150731.jpg

20220417_145819.jpg

20220417_145943.jpg

20220417_150942.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Also, I have a " 1367" on file as one of yours, correct?  I double-checked and they are definitely not the same blade.

Hi Bruce

I have one blade made by Nagamitsu and yes it is the same that you talk about but the pictures are in better luminosity and quality now........i think its a mistake in the number the corect number is 1867......look at this conversation we have earlier last year!!!

No worries😉

Screenshot_20220418-124604_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220418-124619_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

Ok, after taking a close look at the staining about the "7" and a stain off the end of the saka stamp, I believe they are the same blade, and "1867".  I'll correct my charts.  Boy that '8' in the older photo sure looks different.

Previous                                                            Updated

20211012_214926.thumb.jpg.79773e13e4048074c83c5c046d008aeb.jpg.a522749de959ed838ebfa1f168a14f65.jpg20220417_150827.thumb.jpg.06bb222dc3d17e0881b49d5fda4a8ba6.jpg.32d685eecde10d4042bd8df5fd8896d6.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...