Show us your nice Gendai blades

IJASWORDS

On 2/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, IJASWORDS said:

Thought I would post a three character (Ichihara) NAGAMITSU Saku, who regularly made swords for the Osaka Army Arsenal. His swords were rated very highly for their cutting ability. This has no date, but a very small mune stamp. 

He signed his swords in 2 characters, and upto 10 characters. Debate has raged about which signature represent the best quality swords, and those that are "knockouts" for the war. This sword has an Itame haha, and a nice hamon with ko-gunome with ashi. It is in as found war time polish, and the detail doesn't photograph well.

And Bruce, the fittings have heart shaped stamps, what can you tell me about this? 

Nagamitsu (and Emura) swords are becoming quite popular with collectors, and are now being papered.  

Neil,

Sorry for detracting from this thread with my questions, but I assume this Nagamitsu blade has no date since you didn't post a photo?

Also, and @PNSSHOGUN and any Type3/Rinji collectors - do I recall a discussion that the high-quality Rinji Seishiki fittings like this are seen in the last couple years of the war?  Would the high-quality fittings and the canvas same' push an estimated date for this blade into the '44-45 timeframe?  But even as I type this, I realize the blade could have been made before 1942 and re-mounted in '44-45 fittings.  But, then again, I may be wrong about the high-quality RS fittings being only late in the war.

I'm trying to find blades made by RJT qualified smiths that aren't star-stamped to see if any are dated after 1942.  The total lack of stamps is evidence the blade was traditionally made.  But if the blade was made after 1942, by an RJT smith, and it's not stamped, then a case is being made that the Star stamp was used by RJT inspectors on RJT smith's blades that weren't traditionally made.  So far, I have only found non-star blades by RJT smiths on undated blades.  Which likely means they were made BEFORE 1942 and the RJT system.  A dated blade after 1942, and no star, would be evidence for the counter idea about the star.  But I haven't found any, and yours, if undated, continues to verify the current claims about star-stamped RJT blades being nihonto.

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally a nice, but mystery Gunto comes along, and no end of searching throws up any information about the swordsmith. And the best advice that can be given, is that he is an "undocumented" swordsmith, not that uncommon, but annoying when you are doing research. 

So here is an example, combined with a cry for help for any information. 

This is a 1943 YASUMASA, in what looks like its made in the MINO tradition. The photos don't do justice to the hada, homon and hataraki. It is well made in every sense, but I can't find any info about the maker. 

So any help would be appreciated. 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a6.jpg

a5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a (Kajiwara) HIROMITSU. It is dated December 1943. It looks like it started its life as a special order Civilian mounted sword, and later, taken to war in a leather combat saya. It has no stamps.

The fittings are a complete set of rare Showa Period pine tree motif in brass, and a blue/green ito wrap often seen on WW2 swords. The blade is in full polish. This famous smith was from Fukuoka, was responsible for some nice traditionally made swords.   

a18.jpg

a17.jpg

a16.jpg

a15.jpg

a14.jpg

a13.jpg

a12.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/21/2021 at 10:07 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

I'm trying to find blades made by RJT qualified smiths that aren't star-stamped to see if any are dated after 1942.  The total lack of stamps is evidence the blade was traditionally made.  But if the blade was made after 1942, by an RJT smith, and it's not stamped, then a case is being made that the Star stamp was used by RJT inspectors on RJT smith's blades that weren't traditionally made.  So far, I have only found non-star blades by RJT smiths on undated blades.  Which likely means they were made BEFORE 1942 and the RJT system.  A dated blade after 1942, and no star, would be evidence for the counter idea about the star.  But I haven't found any, and yours, if undated, continues to verify the current claims about star-stamped RJT blades being nihonto.

Bruce,

I must have missed this conversation, but maybe I can add to it now....not sure if this will help.

Here are two post - 1942 blades by the Tsukamoto brothers  Both RJT.

1. is Okimasa, worked in Tokyo. 1943 made,. No star but definitely nihonto (papered).

2. is Masakazu, worked in Fukushima. I think this once belonged to Chris Bowen...made 1945, no star but definitely nihonto (Chris wouldn't buy showato).

I think that the main point about RJT smith work post 1942 but no star is just that these are private order blades IMO.

Hope this helps.

masakazu okimasa 2.2943.jpg

Masakazu_Nakago A.jpg

Masakazu_Nakago B.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, george trotter said:

I think that the main point about RJT smith work post 1942 but no star is just that these are private order blades IMO.

Thanks George.  I agree.  We've learned much since that post.  From our discussions, I learned there could be a number of reasons a blades made by an RJT smith wouldn't have a star.  Like you said - private contract, ware, and other RJT contractual requirements (like dimensions) that weren't met.

Thanks for the examples!

Thought I would put up a (OTA) YASUTSUGU, he is featured on page 194 in Slough. Although rated a Medium-High Grade Gendaito, he did make some really nice swords.  

The nice polish on this example, displays his skill in sword making.  

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 5:10 AM, IJASWORDS said:

Wish I could take photos as good as Tom above, but here is my attempt. 

Just stumbled upon this PDF: this is the same sword, right ?

Edit: no, it's not the same sword, the number of mekugi-ana doesn't match.

Edited by francois2605
  • Like 2

Not sure if i've ever showed my polished Ishido Teruhide, but here you go. A sword I personally enjoy having and looking at. Very tight hada that is hard to make out when it's not properly clean.

Thank you for watching! :)

Pictures are heavily resized due to file size limit

20210605_210325.jpg

20210605_211252.jpg

20210605_211339.jpg

20210605_211345.jpg

20210605_211351.jpg

20210605_210108.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...