Peter Bleed can see into the future

It's hard to read a thread like this and not think about the Internet, which did not exist in 1995, and which has transformed all aspects of collecting, including Japanese swords.  Peter couldn't possibly foresee this, no one could -- except maybe for a couple of engineering students at Stanford.  We can do things today that were unimaginable 25 years ago:  kick tires and shop on specialty auction sites and Japanese dealer websites, see hi-res images from museums, translate from Japanese in the click of a mouse, and participate on forums like this one.  We even have discussions about whether sword shows are obsolete (I hope not).  Has all this made nihonto collecting better or worse?  Hard to say, but the comment about smaller collections still rings true.  

58 minutes ago, Kanenaga said:

t's hard to read a thread like this and not think about the Internet, which did not exist in 1995

Not quite, Les. From Wikipedia: "January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet. Prior to this, the various computer networks did not have a standard way to communicate with each other."

I was using DARPAnet back in 1979 to send data & messages. Archie started as a primitive search engine in 1990.

Well, Ken, you are correct, but you and DARPAnet were ahead of the curve.  Wikipedia also says " The linking of commercial networks and enterprises by the early 1990s marked the beginning of the transition to the modern Internet."  All I remember from the early 1990s is email, and not much else.  But then, that could be my memory.  

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..