Japanese "Jian" Style Short Sword with Meiji 19 Markings?

Well, this is definitely a weird one. At first I thought it was some type of WWI/WWII era Chinese Jian, and it's dated on the blade. However, after looking through Chinese era dates fruitlessly, I though the era date looked familiar.

Well, it should, as this sword, real or not, has a Meiji Date on it. It's dated right to left, but it definitely reads 明 治 十 九 年 or Meiji 19 = 1886. This would be well after the Satsuma rebellion and into the "modernization" of Japan.

Has anyone seen one of these before? The blade is flat on one side, and fullered on the other, and honestly looks like a Western style artillery short sword. Google is failing me. Was Japan making export swords at the time? It definitely is well made, but also definitely machine made.

sword01.jpg

sword02.jpg

On 1/27/2021 at 8:14 PM, Bruce Pennington said:

Nice to see a real one, not just in a book! How does it feel? Is it heavy? How long is it?

It weighs 1.65lbs according to my scale, and it's 26 inches long with a 21 1/4 inch blade. Nice substantial feel, but not as heavy as say a U.S. Civil War Artillery short sword. Those are pretty beastly.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, Dave R said:

Flat one side and fullered on the other is a very Austrian trait, looks like the Meiji military took ideas from more than the French and the Prussians.

I've also seen that with some Swiss and Italian bayonets for the Vetterli rifles. I've always wondered how well it worked out over all in terms of durability. I've seen various "bolo" machetes used by the U.S. that also have the blades ground from only one side.

14 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

I've also seen that with some Swiss and Italian bayonets for the Vetterli rifles. I've always wondered how well it worked out over all in terms of durability. I've seen various "bolo" machetes used by the U.S. that also have the blades ground from only one side.

The Austrian army seemed to be happy with it, using the profile on swords as well as bayonets and faschine messer. Ease of production may well have been a factor. I had a rather beat up Austrian sabre with that blade section years ago and I thought it prone to vibrate a lot. I wish I still had it......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..