advice on wakizashi?

I found this very nice wakizashi on catawiki.. it doesn't have a certification, in your opinion how much could be a good price to buy it?  do you think it can be a good purchase or is it better to look for something else? the certificate has a definitive sentence, therefore a great value for those who buy and for those who sell?

as you can see I'm not very experienced, I would like to buy my second Japanese blade, since the first turned out to be fake.

FA6EA1DD-1DAE-4AA0-A5A0-D5FD38045BDD.jpeg

I have found several other swords but I don't understand how it works, blades that look worse to me are priced higher than those that look better to me.. i think i’ll start to buy stamps :laughing: 

do you have any general guidelines to recommend? something to watch out for?

Hi Alessandro,

You ask, do you have any general guidelines to recommend? something to watch out for?

Have you heard the one about the young man with a violin case under his arm looking lost on a sidewalk in NYC?  He stops a lady and asks, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"  She answers, "practice."

I recommend study: books, in hand examination of good swords, attending shows, asking questions.  And if you want to buy a good sword for the money, until you are able to answer your own questions buy only from reputable dealers.

Grey

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Alessandro,

For the beginner, a good introduction to Nihonto can be had from either The Samurai Sword by Yumato or The Japanese Sword by Sato.  Then move into more detail with The Conniosseur's Book of Japanese Swords by Nagayama, Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords by Nakahara, the 6 volumes of Nihonto Koza that have been translated to English by Harry Watson, and the 2 volumes of Nihon Toko Jiten by Fujishiro for a reference that allows you to check signatures against authentic examples (and won't break the bank).  If you get serious about Nihonto you should consider the 59 volumes of the English edition of Token Bijutsu from the NBTHK, in my opinion they are the best information on the subject in English.

After those, there are so many good books I wouldn't run out of suggestions until long after you ran out of money.  My website: japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com, has hundreds of books, with descriptions and pictures, so you can get an idea what they are.

And maybe someone else will have a recommendation.

Cheers,  Grey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The blade is signed Yokoyama Kaga no suke fujiwara Sukenaga, I think.  On the other side it says Bishu Osafune X.   if you Google that name, you might find some examples to compare with.   It is in the style of Yokoyama Bizen, and I can't say it's bad without study.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..