New Member - Introducing myself

Hello from Rideau Lake, Ontario, Canada. I would like to introduce myself to the members of this forum.

I'm new to the Japanese sword arena but have been a collector of Militaria for about 45 years or so.  I recently downsized a large collection of Imperial German headgear (Pickelhaubes) and Canadian 1st World War uniforms and medals. 

I'm now collecting on a much more eclectic basis and acquiring items that just pique my interest. One of those areas is Japanese swords which I've always had an interest in. I picked up my first sword, a NCO Shin Gunto a couple of years ago and just recently managed to purchase two more Guntos from an on-line auction.

This is quite a complex area and I'm very early into the Learning Curve so I hope to learn from the experienced admirers of these fascinating swords.

Cheers:

Steve N

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome!

I have a copy of  John Yumoto's book. Can you recommend any other books for the person just starting out? 

I'm undecided as to whether I will be actively collecting at this point ( I have enough money sucking hobbies now) but I would like to know enough to recognize a real Nihonto blade when I see one in future.

Thanks for guiding me here Bruce. There is a lot to learned here.

And thanks to Barry for forwarding some informative articles.

Steve N

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..