Help Requested for 4 Kanji on Fuchi

tbonesullivan

Well, this is a Shin-Gunto with what looks to be a Maruni chigai takanoha (丸に違鷹羽) Mon on the Kabuto-gane.  It also has 4 Characters on the Fuchi, which are giving my rudimentary Japanese skills fits. The one farthest to the right looks like 近, but it seems to have an extra stroke. I checked the list of 8 stroke kanji I have, but couldn't find anything. The others I have no clue on.

katanafuchi.jpg

katanamon.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:57 AM, Ian B3HR2UH said:

David that is really unusual ( and nice ). Could you tell us what the blade is like ?

Ian Brooks

I only the blade was as interesting as the fittings! It does have a Bo-Hi, and a temper line, but the blade is definitely Showato and the tang is unmarked. Not even an arsenal marking. It's also got some edge damage, hopefully from service during wwii.

10043sugata.jpg

10043edge.jpg

10043hamon.jpg

Just now, Stephen said:

Does the blade have a mei? Please share.

Tsuba is of higher grade.

It's mumei. There's not a single marking on it, and I went up and down with a magnifying glass to see if anything was on the spine of the tang. It's got a pretty nice temper line, and the BO-HI, so I was expecting a signature.

15 minutes ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

It is a Zohei-To - Arsenal made blade. I think the Tsuka has been rewrapped at some point but not too well.

Yeah, it's not the usual color, and definitely not the same material I'm used to seeing. The ray skin looks like it is real though, and not the plastic stuff.  I've seen the nitrocelluloid faux ray skin decompose, which caused the wrapping to turn red and disintegrate, and the wood started crumbling too.  Reminds me of when they find old guitars from the 50s, kept carefully in the cases, and the nitrocelluloid pickguard decomposed and pretty much destroyed everything.

My personel opinion is that the sword is resampled. The blade did not really fit to the fittings. The seppa didn't fit to the rest. The Tsuka is badly rewraped. 

The Tsuba is a high quality one. The Fuchi/Kashira is very nice. Overall good parts combined with a cheap blade.

Btw celluloid same is not a sign of bad quality!

I like swords with celluloid same. The, are much more robust than rayskin.

Nagamitsu gendai-to uses celluloid and burlap. Are these cheap ones?

8 hours ago, vajo said:

Btw celluloid same is not a sign of bad quality!

I like swords with celluloid same. The, are much more robust than rayskin.

Nagamitsu gendai-to uses celluloid and burlap. Are these cheap ones?

Oh, I wasn't implying that at all. It was a good material for the time, but over time it can decompose. I also don't know if all used nitrocellulose, as most may have been cellulose acetate, which is much more stable. I've only seen the decomposition a few times on blades, so I would assume most were not nitrocellulose.  They still use Nitrocellulose on very high end guitars to this day, saying it sounds better.

I just like the look of the real ray skin over the celluloid.

53 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Even not signed one can still read the nakago file marks and end shape. Otherwise it looks like a NCO blade.

I'm going to try to get a better look and picture of the Hamon. I'm pretty sure it's got Nie crystals along the edge, I've pulled Type 95 NCO blades before, and this shows no signs of being one.  This is one I'd love to be able to bring into a NYC Token Kai meeting, but right as I was about to go to my first meeting COVID came knocking. 

On 3/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, vajo said:

My personel opinion is that the sword is resampled. The blade did not really fit to the fittings. The seppa didn't fit to the rest. The Tsuka is badly rewraped. 

The Tsuba is a high quality one. The Fuchi/Kashira is very nice. Overall good parts combined with a cheap blade.

The fittings are normal for Zohei-To as nearly all examples are found in early style good quality mounts. Whta is most unusual are the Mons, not seen very often on Zohei-To.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..