New wakizashi, kantei challenge (Pictures)

Hanito

My first nihonto. I would like to see what you all think of it any guesses towards the age and maker and why before revealing the mei (no cheating). It came in shirasaya with its koshirae, unfortunately the koshirae didn't belong to the blade (hole almost an inch off). I'm in the process of seeing if its worth it to get a new handle or get the old one re-drilled and also a new tsunagi-habaki made as it was cracked. I am curious if anyone believes this sword is worth submitting to shinsa? I am not great at capturing the beauty of the sword on camera and if needed I can take more photos. 

So any guesses???

PS: More information upon request

20210122_225711.jpg

20210122_225702.jpg

Hard to vote without hedging.

My first choice would be late Muromachi Soshu influenced. Most likely Uda Kunimune.

Distant second is shinshinto, somebody slightly junior, like second generation Naokatsu or lesser Satsuma smith.

Would appreciate seeing sugata though.

10 hours ago, Hanito said:

....maker and why...

Ahhh... the 'why'.  For me, it started with the tell-tale sign of the "Tamba ball" in the boshi... usually a very clear sign of the Osaka Yoshimichi school.  Once again, not sure about generation.  In almost ALL cases, to use one identifying feature is NOT the proper way to kantei.  But that ball in the boshi is usually a dead giveaway and leads to looking for other specifics.  The sudare-ba-like hamon helps back up the kantei to Osaka Yoshimichi school... although, the pictures and/or polish do make the hamon seem a bit 'misty' or 'muddy'?  Usually (and I use that term cautiously), sudare-ba is much more 'distinct' (see attached images), although not a rule.  Others may correct me, but I think earlier generations were less distinct and the more distinct sudare-ba evolved with later generations.  There were many variations of sudare-ba.  This is NOT a criticism or downgrading your blade or your photography skills.  Sometimes details are VERY difficult to photograph and can only be seen in the right light and in hand.

Just to be sure... you will see both Tamba and Tanba used in reference to these blades.

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

• Like 2

I will post pictures of the nakago later today/tomorrow. While picture quality is a combination of an old phone camera, bad lighting, and sub par photography skill. The lines are much sharper under natural light with the naked eye but until some professional shots (sibling discount) I cannot provide much better. 

Mark S- That is a very nice blade. I will try get some better pictures of the hamon but it doesn't look like mine has that pronounced sudare-ba hamon as your pictures show.

20210126_155627.jpg

20210126_155530.jpg

9 hours ago, Hanito said:

Many great guesses, and many winners, congrats!:clap: I have much to learn. Can anyone figure out the generation? Now for the big question, would you pay for shinsa if you owned this blade?

20210126_200711.jpg

20210126_200743.jpg

Why? It looks like a duck, it walks like a duck, it quacks like a duck, why then necessarily confirm that it is a duck.
Better invest the money in the next piece.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I keep kicking the nihonto community, but what can I do, I simply don't like it.

The way it tends to work is if you ever to sell anything you really want to do it with papers.

If you have papers people look at them and say "oh, its obvious this is what it is. The kitae has this special swirl, yes, yes, can't be anything else".

You sell the same item without papers and two months later you have a scandal because somebody said its gimei or it has hagire.

If its out of polish there is always somebody who will say its saiha.

I would not invest in NBTHK here but if there is going to be NTHK shinsa in the US, can't hurt to get it papered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't submit it to NBTHK Shinsa due to the expense and unpredictability of international shipments in present days.

In August the SF Token Kai has its show that may give you an option. The sword and mei, though, looks shoshin to even a semi experienced eye like mine.  It's sandai Yoshimichi hamon is unmistakeable and there are plenty of references to compare that well carved mei. Nice sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..