Extremely rare Shin Gunto.

IJASWORDS

This WW2 officers sword is all about the custom mounts and fittings. Although the blade is a mumei 400-500 year old nihonto, the rarity is the outfit. 

It is extremely rare to find a sword with blackened fittings, it is very rare to find an Army sword with a shark skin saya, but what are the odds of finding both in one sword? 

I recon its akin to picking the 6 winning numbers in Lotto!  

The ancestral blade is in reasonable polish, nice hada and hamon, and a few forging openings common on swords of its age, but as I said, its about the full package. A beautiful original complete 8 seppa set, it is just one of those beautiful original Shin Gunto, that would be a joy to own and display. 

Putting a price on this would be like pricing the Mona Lisa, or Statue of David, there is nothing to compare it to. 

So USD2350 including express posting, anywhere, OR a sensible offer. 

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

• Like 4

Hamish, glad you asked. The blade is nicer than I remember, note the nice hamon, hada, boshi, and the UBU blade. I have shown the worst features of the blade, only a couple of forging openings, no cracks etc. But as you will appreciate, these are common on old blades, AND, it is about the package, where the fittings are the feature in a war time outfit. A perfectly polished blade in this outfit would set you back at least USD 6000. 

a11.jpg

a10.jpg

a9.jpg

a8.jpg

a7.jpg

Neil, could a payment plan be worked out? Something about the mounts paired with that blade speaks to me on a level I haven't encountered in a gunto yet!

Still stinging from missing out on that Kyu that my friend sold to that guy, but this would definitely make me forget it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..