A very unusual Tsuba.

peterd

Very interesting and a bit strange to my old eyes. I've never handled a Shingen tsuba, but thought they were "woven" from side to side. ???  I wonder if this tsuba is two separate tsuba layered back to back?? How no idea, just pure speculation.

Rich

• Like 1

The fukurin probably hides the construction method, not your usual Shingen that is for sure.

Barry that Varshavsky one is a bit rough and ready - plenty of loose wires. He has another one that is dual personality but on the one face.

We can't see the opposite side to see how it is constructed either.

image.png.76876c390adaf285eee38395cbbdb56a.png

Is the double sided from your collection Peter?

• Like 1

Wow, that is interesting to me for two reasons, the first being I have never seen the "one sided" shingen before, and the other being I had never seen a shingen weave without a lacquer binding? Was this usual? I would have thought the wire would be susceptible to bending and breaking without the binding material. Coming from an actual use point of view here

Don't blame you for wondering Rich, it is one tsuba ,two separate plates. The Shingen one is only about 2mm thick (approx). Yes Dale it is in my collection.                                                                   I will try to photo the two plates in the seppa.

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..