Koshirae on a Katana - Common to Have a Wak Tsuba?

Infinite_Wisdumb

Hello!

From what I can gather there, it seems your scabbard saya is a military Gunto of sorts as it looks like its has a leather skin and the gold fitting to me, seems to be a mass produced military issue (original or not I have no idea).

As for the Tsuba, it looks far too big to be for Tanto and as far as I am aware, a Katana Tsuba can have 1, 2 or no hitsu ana. I would have thought size is more of a deciding factor when it comes to  classing a Tsuba to be for a Kat, Wak or Tanto? Tanto and Wakizashi can also have Kogai and Kozuka in their scabbard. Even having said that, a smaller Tsuba on a larger blade is not unheard of and can look pretty good in my opinion.

I don't mind being corrected for those that know infinitely more!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jesse, apparently the other bidder did not pay for this sword and it is now yours to buy?  As I recall, it went pretty cheaply, not much more than the tsuba is probably worth.  This is the one with the Choshu tsuba that is also in the translation section, correct?

22 minutes ago, Surfson said:

Jesse, apparently the other bidder did not pay for this sword and it is now yours to buy?  As I recall, it went pretty cheaply, not much more than the tsuba is probably worth.  This is the one with the Choshu tsuba that is also in the translation section, correct?

Hi Bob.  Correct!  It is one and the same.  With Choshu Ju being all that we have been able to decipher.  Whats your take on it? I LOVE the Fuchi Kashira.  Thats what drew me to it.

Thanks Jean and Steve!  I was wondering why the menuki was so low on the Tsuka, seems it should have been up higher where the eelskin has a tear?

I havent been notified that the other bidder has finally quit, they sent a final email to her/him on Friday

Ill ask for a picture of that too!

Jesse

You know what, now that I think about it, the menuki is positioned correctly, but on the wrong side, perhaps the Tsuka has been forced on "upsidedown" which would account for the odd shape. If you put on the other way, the Tsuka shape would match the curve and the menuki would be placed in the "correct" position. If true, that is a worry

If this is just Koshirae what is the tsuka stuck on? Unless there is a blade the tsuka has just been sat atop the tsuba - the wrong way around. Are there three mekugi-ana in the tsuka or is the top one a tear in the samegawa? The image is just not that clear but the lower mekugi-ana has no peg that I can see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..