tsuba school opinion wanted

Gunome

Hi Sebastien,
no clear idea about the school. The theme is called iwashi no atama (鰯の頭 - sardine heads) and refers to a ceremony of driving out evil spirits. During Setsubun (the day before the beginning of spring) some families put up small decorations of sardine heads and holly leaves on their house entrances so that bad spirits will not enter.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't thought to Aizu Shoami school because the workmanship is not so close of they usual works, but why not ?! Shoami styles are so large !

I will try to see if I found something similar or close in that school.

Thanks again

I own 2 nice aizu shoami tsuba but for this one I didn't recognize the aizu shoami style, that's why I requested opinion.

I notice the one you share has same "grid" design. So could be a possibility, but always hard to compare kinko with iron.

Anyway thanks again for your input. I appreciate :)

Yas one sold last night - https://www.jauce.com/auction/p817342531 

not as nice, the window is empty.  I have pictures of 18 utsushi [including the one you posted and this one]

Samurai must have loved a good cup of tea!

image.png.f5a2f306a505e2bf158ce10ff0554d13.png

I know of two sets of daisho as well. The set here is described as Bushu also, but has no signature - so it may be a guess.

image.thumb.png.53fe84cfd4307b3aefdbd08229129857.png

We already have one Bulldog to pat - if she would get out of bed!image.thumb.png.76244d68a54ef3d5e0a0de551788c6d6.png

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

• 1 month later...

On 1/27/2021 at 11:10 PM, Gunome said:

No problem for the off topic ;)

Thanks for last sharing. Nice kozuka, far better than my tsuba !

Sebastien I have found a daisho set selling on Jauce with the same Sardine and Holly theme as yours. https://www.jauce.com/auction/j716876105

I hope the images are of some use.

image.thumb.png.969679587c9092be1a8b852a1ad69cfe.png

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..