Ordering sword from Aoi Art

I am wanting purchase a wakizashi from Aoi Art. Besides the price of the item, what other fees are associated with bringing the item to the US? It appears they charge additional for the shipping. Not sure what the best method of payment will be to avoid or get the lowest fees possible. Use a credit card and pay the balance immediately? Paypal and bank wire will definitely be a fee.

Thanks all!

It may depend on whether you are in the auction section or the buying section. In the buying section it clearly states that shipping and insurance are included in the price. When I bought from them in Tokyo there was no additional shipping or insurance charge. They also took a combination of cash and credit.They are very easy to deal with and may take credit (plus the 3% credit charge) so it’s worth dropping them a line and asking. Good luck!

The answer depends on the country. Some countries have a minimus (amount below which they do not charge import duty). Some countries charge a VAT or other tax based only on price. Some items may be duty free e.g. antiques over a certain age. Some items are charged import (duty) fees.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DTM72 said:

That is one of the big questions I also had. 

Shipping via UPS Worldwide Expedited is included in the price, unless otherwise stated, which is usually in parenthesis next to the price, if so, along with any additional payment fees. (Usually only applicable on very high dollar items.) They will confirm your order via email, and send you an invoice for the amount, which you can pay via credit/debit card without any additional fees. I can't speak to the process with wire transfers or other payment options.

In my experience they get the export license at 3 weeks, pretty much on the nose, and ship within 2-3 business days from that time. You will need to provide a tax ID # (I use my social) to UPS Brokerage/International. Keep an eye on the tracking and call them when the status shows that an ID number is required for clearance.

After that information has been forwarded, and the package has cleared, you will need to pay any customs/import/UPS brokerage fees. There will be a link in the tracking status result saying COD import fees or some such thing are required. You can click the hyperlink and pay with a credit card, or pay the driver directly when it gets delivered to you. (I've read paying it immediately online speeds up the process.)

For antique swords (over 100 years old and around the $4000 range) I've always paid close to $40 dollars total for the brokerage/import fees.
For a modern sword (1972, around $4300) I paid almost $160 total, as there is a tariff/tax applied to 'new'/non-antique products, contingent on stated/invoice value.

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but has anyone from the UK bought from AOI recently? If so, what was the import experience like?

I'm interested to know if they provide all the info that HMRC need to ensure that I only pay the 5% tax/VAT rate and not 20% (e.g. proof of age for antique status, etc).  Any info/advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon, not had any issues with Aoi in the past with importing to UK, just make sure they state the customs tariff for antiques which is 9706.00.00.00 on the description and add  ANTIQUE OVER 100 YEARS OLD.....RELIEF REQUESTED

That should do it..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Alex, advice much appreciated. 

I don't have any definite "targets" yet, but they seem to have a good selection of swords across a wide range of prices and are mentioned a lot on the message boards.

Thinking about it Jon, i did have one small issue but it was resolved quickly. Bought a sword and it turned up with some rust spots in the Bo-hi (groove), they accepted it back but shipping it back took some time and was a bit of a worry (as shipping swords ALWAYS is). I didnt study the images online as closely as i should have done. 

There is no rush to buy a sword, hang around for a bit and get to know what you like first. No point buying something then wishing you hadn't, as a lot of folk do when they become interested in these swords.

You see some fair deals on Aoi, sometimes great deals though in the sales section below.

Usually, new folk have to have the "katana", but tanto or waks can be a better option. Lets face it, you dont need a 70cm blade for study and they can be pretty cumbersome. Shipping is more awkward and then you get the likes of customs and couriers being a little more curious, maybe

All depends where you shop, i am but an humble bottom dweller happy with stuff like this Tanto: Kanekishi | Japanese Sword Shop Aoi-Art (aoijapan.com)

Nota recommendation, just personal preference and making the point that it does not need to be so expensive.

No papers, no need, good saving. Nice signed blade, nice fittings., small, easily studied,  easily shipped, happy days. 

Have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jon,

I haven't bought from them recently but the importation process went smoothly, I think on three occasions, and I had no issues in terms of how the items were described in the paperwork and import tax paid. I once had to chase them over a tracking number once as there was a typo in the one they gave me but this was dealt with quickly and was easily resolved.

Like Alex, I had an issue over the condition of a blade: because they scan images of their swords they have to photoshop in what is effectively a generic mune and one that I bought had a muneware that didn't show in the picture. Unfortunately, I was less than eagle-eyed and it was very fine so I didn't notice it until some time later and I didn't feel I could raise the issue with them so I'm partially at fault, but  I did feel somewhat disappointed that it hadn't been mentioned in the sales blurb as it wasn't something I could see and take a view on in the pictures. They are normally pretty good at highlighting the big stuff though i.e. fatal flaws like hagiri or issues with signatures.

Like Alex says, size isn't everything and take your time - there's no shortage of swords and the right one will come up before long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alex & John - Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated.

Yes, I'm in no rush, just testing-the-water relating to suppliers mentioned on the site and looking over a very wide selection of suppliers & blades while reading-around the subject.

I'll start a new thread with a new UK-related question (I don't want to hijack this thread!)

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 2:37 AM, Alex A said:

All depends where you shop, i am but an humble bottom dweller happy with stuff like this Tanto: Kanekishi | Japanese Sword Shop Aoi-Art (aoijapan.com)

Alex, really ? at $2200 you consider yourself a 'humble bottom dweller '  !!   Ok so I guess I know now where I am !    :(   haha  as long as you Enjoy the process is all that matters

12 hours ago, SHObill said:

Alex, really ? at $2200 you consider yourself a 'humble bottom dweller '  !!   Ok so I guess I know now where I am !    :(   haha  as long as you Enjoy the process is all that matters

Hi Bill, your right, thats all that matters. Searching within what you can afford or what you want to spend can be a challenge but is always good fun and for me has been the best part of the hobby.

Truth is, most folk cannot afford the swords they wish they could so there are always compromises.

The tanto i mentioned above is something that may have been attractive to me on one of my sword hunts in the past but some would describe it as junk, its all relative. Well made, signed, old, authentic and i like the fact it is with its old fittings and probably been sat like that for quite some time. If you cant afford the top stuff then you have to find ways of enjoying stuff at the lower end, though this i must say can become futile and probably would make an interesting topic.

There will always be good swords for lower prices. Sometimes best keeping purchases to yourself, forums are great as a whole but alas there are always one or two elitist (fake elitist) ******** that feel the need to rain on a parade 

Anyways, happy hunting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alex A said:

Sometimes best keeping purchases to yourself, forums are great as a whole but alas there are always one or two elitist (fake elitist) ******** that feel the need to rain on a parade 

Agreed… have learned this first hand on a couple of occasions in the past.  One was an ‘infamous’ thread that did not end well.

I also have a blade that just came back from polish and another I am waiting for.  Both will be going to Shinsa next year (hopefully).  The first was thought to be from a school that few seem to like.  Not sure I want to share it now or after it comes back from Shinsa… or ever.  Will see on the second only because it had a (possibly) more interesting history.  

As I like to say, I collect in the more ‘conservative’ segment of the community.  Sometimes best to just enjoy on my own.

• Thanks 1

The joy of collecting nihonto transcends the cost for the most part.  I remember the thrill of buying my second blade, a signed out of polish wakizashi, that cost me less than $200.  As your collecting advances and your taste and understanding improve, the thrill is still there, whether your budget can take you to pricier and fancier items or not.  If your budget is not large, then the game is to go out and find swords that are priced way under their value.  If you must, you can then sell them and have a larger budget for your collection.  As we see on this board all the time, it is still possible to buy blades for a couple hundred bucks that turn out to be worth thousands.  (does anybody remember Georg (?) who picked up a cheap blade at a police auction that turned out to be a world class Kiyomaro, likely worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars?  The best tool to unlock this is to study, study, study.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex,

I am on the hunt for my first nihonto, watching AOI and absorbing what I can before making the plunge.

This type of tanto is both the type of sword that falls into my modest budget and that I find reasonably attractive.  I see that the hamon isn’t all that active, nor is the grain really interesting… and that there are a couple scuffs.  Can I ask those on the board with more experience to point out the other flaws that would lessen the value of a nihonto?

I loathe to admit it to myself, but the koshaire of the different swords I’m looking at are a huge draw for me.  Those that are done well are absolutely incredible to see.  For me, I’m drawn to craftsmanship and aesthetics above all with name recognition of the smith not anywhere in my scope.  I’ve generally favored pre-gendaito swords as owning something that’s been around for a few hundred years feels special to me.

I’d welcome any advice on where to search for swords that fit this profile!

Best,

John

On 10/8/2021 at 2:48 AM, Alex A said:

Hi Bill, your right, thats all that matters. Searching within what you can afford or what you want to spend can be a challenge but is always good fun and for me has been the best part of the hobby.

Truth is, most folk cannot afford the swords they wish they could so there are always compromises.

The tanto i mentioned above is something that may have been attractive to me on one of my sword hunts in the past but some would describe it as junk, its all relative. Well made, signed, old, authentic and i like the fact it is with its old fittings and probably been sat like that for quite some time. If you cant afford the top stuff then you have to find ways of enjoying stuff at the lower end, though this i must say can become futile and probably would make an interesting topic.

There will always be good swords for lower prices. Sometimes best keeping purchases to yourself, forums are great as a whole but alas there are always one or two elitist (fake elitist) ******** that feel the need to rain on a parade 

Anyways, happy hunting.

Hi John, 

Shopping on this type of budget is not easy and you need some patience

Occasionally, fair deals come up in the for sale section below in that price range where someone has already taken a hit from a main dealer purchase price and is willing to sell just to move on. Not many of late though. You might find a mumei tanto with a somewhat flashy hamon in that price range. I remember a papered tanto from the late muromachi era that fit that bill a few years ago. It was around for a good while before it sold, it was quite nice.

This one hung around too for a good while and i ended up buying it because i like Sue-Mino. No papers and the koshirae was unappealing as the the tsuka needed finishing, the tsuba was missing, the menuki and seppa also. I got a good deal and then had some extra fun putting everything right, in total around £1000. Blade is much better in hand than Kirks photos which was good. Blades like this dont need NBTHK papers as they are so easy to validate by oneself.

The Aoi art tanto above. Its a 500 year old piece of history in good condition, all depends on what you want. Its not flashy but its a fair price for what it is. They wil probably polish out any scratchesif you askthem, and paper it if you wish. Personally, not bothered by a few scratches on a blade that is already in good polish, were not talking Juyo here.

Dont let me influence you though, make your own decisions and live with them, hopefully happily 

Added a few pics of the budget Mino tanto now

8BFF3934-DFD5-44A8-911D-273E301269D3.jpeg

CB6835D3-9E48-4209-9767-80DB31967733.jpeg

EF7DD2B0-505B-4F3C-A78C-32CB6A4E28B0.jpeg

Hi John,

As another new starter to Nihonto, can I suggest you look through the list of dealers in the "Commercial Listings" menu (under the "Forums" drop down menu).  There are lots of good dealers there in Japan and the US/Can and it'll give you a much-expanded choice.  As you'll see, there are many dealers who have reasonably priced blades with Koshirae. 

Also, being from the US, you are fortunate to have a lot of very knowledgeable dealers on NMB who are in the US or Canada (so easier shipping, etc).  Have a look around the different forums on NMB and get to know who-is-who and perhaps ask a couple for help to get what you want.

Cheers,

Jon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..