Need help with a purchase

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on here, but I've been trying to find a nice shobu zukiri blade (2 years now) and this one popped up on my radar recently. I was wondering if anyone could help point out whether this would be a good purchase - picture attached below.

Thanks in advance!

shobu8.jpg

shobu10.jpg

shobu-rust.jpg

shobu9.jpg

shobu7.jpg

nakago1.jpg

shobu6.jpg

shobu2.jpg

I'll stick my neck out to be shot down. The nakago looks fairly new and it lacks details expected of a Japanese sword, and it's unsigned. I would guess Chinese made. I would steer clear of this one.

Hoanh

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

I can't speak to who made this, but I've always loved this style blade.  This is quite gorgeous!

That's why I've been hunting for one haha. I know it's not common, but I love the geometry and look (especially with a good amount of sori) 

13 hours ago, hxv said:

I'll stick my neck out to be shot down. The nakago looks fairly new and it lacks details expected of a Japanese sword, and it's unsigned. I would guess Chinese made. I would steer clear of this one.

Hoanh

That's why I'm a little iffy on it as well. Something seems a little bit off but I can't place my finger on it. I'll see if anyone else wants to comment on it before making a decision. 

1 hour ago, Ken-Hawaii said:

I don't think that the sori matches the rest of the blade, Paul. Why not stick with a known-good seller, especially for your first blade? Brian has made it easy.

I check pretty much weekly to see if I can find a good shobu blade at the various well regarded sellers but either haven't been able to find or miss something by a hair. Also could you clarify what you mean by the sori not matching the rest of the blade? 

There appears to be a fair bit of interesting activity in the hamon and hada, but I am concerned about the finishing work on the tang and would like to see better photos of the tang.  You can always ask for a guarantee that it will pass shinsa.  For a mumei sword, such a guarantee shouldn't be too hard for a seller to agree to if they believe it to be genuine.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..