What can you see in this menpo?

Japan2112

Hi all,

Can you take a look at this example and tell me what you think about its, age, condition, uniqueness...? I bought this at a sword show years ago and yes, it has been hanging on my den wall. The Myochin hachi (Yamato (no) Kami Fujiwara Ieyoshi  大和守藤原家慶) I'd posted last year provided great insight and taught me a lot. I am  hoping for the same here. The lacquer is 90% intact, but shows signs of cracking (nice old iron patina where there is loss). The throat lame are perfect. Silk lacing is 90% intact with some loss or fraying, I am guessing later Edo. The fierce expression with teeth, horse hair(?) moustache, awesome nose and wrinkles gives me a feel of an artistic piece.   Thanks for any interest.

Mark

Exterior Oblique.jpg

Frontal.jpg

Interior components.jpg

Shikoro.jpg

• Like 1

Mark,

It's a decent looking Ressei me-no-shita men, Nara style. These are relatively common, yours likely dates to mid-late Edo period.  The condition is not bad, but there could be rust forming under the cracked lacquer. Uwe did a good write up of the style in the following thread if you want some more information.

• Thanks 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..