WW2 bring back

Markdd

Hi,

Was going to call it a Shin unto in the header but as its not in shin gusto fittings I'll leave as is.

This was my second sword many years ago that turned up locally from a house clearance when I saw it I had to have it , 4th seat at the 1941 exhibition.

Mark

image_1086441.jpg

image_1086442.jpg

image_1086443.jpg

image_1086444.jpg

image_1086445.jpg

image_1086446.jpg

image_1086447.jpg

image_1086450.jpg

image_1086452.jpg

image_1086453.jpg

image_1086454.jpg

image_1086455.jpg

image_1086701.jpg

image_1086708.jpg

image_1086711.jpg

image_1086713.jpg

image_4225093.jpg

image_4228845.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

• Like 6

It's a late era blade with a Sho stamp, and so also non traditional in some way. No problem with the fittings, they are nice but would not have been expensive as they are contemporary to the blade and cast in non ferrous without inlays. The Fuchi-kashira might even be stamping's though the menuki look to be old.

There seems to have been a fashion revival in the Showa era for traditional style swords. I like it, and think you have a very collectable piece there.

Mark,

I assume you've gotten the smith name already, but just in case, I make it to be: 兼清 (Kanekiyo)

Also - no date on the other side?  If not, it is most likely 1940-41, though could be earlier or later, but the massive majority of Showa stamped blades are '40-'41.

To call it a shingunto would be appropriate.  It simply means "New Gunto" (gunto - army sword).  By the showa stamp, we know it's "New" and by the leather cover, we know it was brought, or sold, or donated to the army for the war.  So, it was a new, army sword!

B.E.A.Utiful blade, by the way! 

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the comments,

Had to have it polished as it was a shame to see it so dark, possibly wasn't financially viable to get it done but I'm sure it would have looked as nice when the officer first took it to war.No date to the other side.

Mark

49 minutes ago, Dave R said:

I do wonder why we get blades lacking a date, particularly  of WW2 era.

I have always wondered about that too.  Mal Cox' survey of 426 oshigata found only half had dates, and in my meager survey of around 200, only half are dated.

There are a higher percentage dated after 1942 when the Army took over all sword production.  Of the Seki stamped blades after 1942, 72 are undated and 62 are dated, compared to the Showa stamped blades where 102 are undated vs 26 dated.

Similar to that indicated above, my favorite trick is to view the reflection of a Venetian blind or other surface with numerous parallel lines, and shift the reflection up and down the blade.  Even small waves become quite apparent.  But be careful, my as originally polished Showa Kumemune almost made me seasick!  :laughing:

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..