WTB very high-end machibori Edo/Meiji period Tsubas

terminus

Happy new years, time for my quarterly WTB high-end tsuba post. I'm looking for a very high-end machibori tsubas (preferably 7cm+) from these schools:

-Tanaka School
-Otsuki/Unno School
-Omori School
-Ichijo School
-Ishiguro School
-Sekibun School
-Mito/Hagiya School
-Kono (Haruaki) School
-Ichinomiya School
-Iwamoto School

-Hamano Noriyuki or Shozui
-And any other amazing late Edo/Meiji tsubas 

If the price is over $10,000USD I require Shinsa papers. 

Feel free to post here or pm me, thanks! 

50 minutes ago, Gakusee said:

Well, Curran, very few dealers carry even a fraction of what Tony is desiring, let alone even half of his list. So, you have to go to the top. Yes, Iida is expensive as is Shingendo, but they tend to have the best fittings. 

I agree, but they are Japanese dealers.

One of Iida-san's items is ex-Bonhams and got at least +100% markup. That is the nature of being a dealer,, and Iida-san has access to a lot of items that we will rarely see.

The Bonhams one is the rare one that was previously available to the public.

It makes sense for Tony to ask around.

Sometimes you get lucky.

It rarely hurts to ask, especially if you are being polite.  Asking in this section has never yielded me result, but I am sure I will try again some day.

Yup, agreed. For the sake of clarity, I am also after many of these names myself :))I find that Darcy has been very good at finding top tosogu in the last 2-3 years. So, for these sorts of makers, Darcy would be one of my top choices too. 

All very great suggestions. I’ve actually been eyeing lida-san’s Goto Ichijo daisho tsuba set for awhile but it’s a bit too expensive for me. Personally I feel Darcy’s items are usually the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of price an quality. 

btw, can anyone link a gallery for Shingendo? I can never find what they have in inventory from navigating their website. 

3 hours ago, terminus said:

All very great suggestions. I’ve actually been eyeing lida-san’s Goto Ichijo daisho tsuba set for awhile but it’s a bit too expensive for me.

That would be the one from Bonhams NY auction.

This is on Yahoo!Japan. A small one that is still likely to pop past the 200,000 Deputy Service limit, but it is of a Tiger.

Desirable bang for the buck.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k527087271

Tony 

I also have been eyeing that daisho tsuba: ) I guess the pricing and unusual design has put people off. 

Shingendo are very secretive and they never have anything on their website. Just a blog or news item or something akin. 

https://samuraigallery.com/en/

However, they are in the triumvirate of top dealers in Japan. 

• 6 months later...

That time of the year again when the SF Token Kai is coming up. Wanted to say the original post still stands and if you have any tsubas fitting my criteria and you will be at the  SF Token Kai please pm me. 

Archived