Marketing ploy?

Spartancrest

A recent auction sale https://www.jauce.com/auction/d477991218  had, what you are led to believe are a daisho of tsuba. From what I see they are totally unrelated, the smaller of the two pieces looks ok [a bit of an indent at the bottom] A very fine fukurin, the sukashi look ok [a bit dusty]. But check out the larger piece, that full flower head, the 'kebori' on the leaves - all a bit off. But the ura side is where the game is up!  The lower stem of the Chrysanthemum has casting bubbles but the fun inclusion is the Chinese star on the flower head - I know a star is a star and the symbol is common in many cultures, but that is my take on it. Now another intriguing feature are the ategane/ume, they don't look like they were made to fit this guard at all, but came from some former jewelry piece - the detailing on them out weighs the tsuba. I would be interested in others thoughts.

ategane that dont fit.jpg

• Like 1

Richard, It has the same features as the last one I posted with the leaves overlapping the rim - what do you think cast or utsushi? I am not a big fan of package deals they always contain some form of rubbish you don't want. [Not saying that guard is rubbish but you know what I mean]. Thanks for posting the image.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Spartancrest said:

Richard, It has the same features as the last one I posted with the leaves overlapping the rim - what do you think cast or utsushi? I am not a big fan of package deals they always contain some form of rubbish you don't want. [Not saying that guard is rubbish but you know what I mean]. Thanks for posting the image.

Dale,

Sorry not to reply earlier - too busy...  Just for grins I overlapped my image with the one from the jauce auction.  Its not the best job, but you can see the pattern is different, just not by a lot. (Dicclaimer: I don't own the copyright to the image from Jauce - it is presented here for educational purposes only).  It interesting that the corners were staked kind of in the same way (angled at corners) and that there is what looks like a squared off copper sekigane in the bottom only.  I guess they both could be from the same "factory", but I don't think (at least mine) is modan or something,

kohagi_animation_1.gif.984b4e5c6f4737f8da30528a755ff9c4.gif

This seems to be a pattern that is often attributed to ko-hagi (which Torigoye claims is actually  just another variant of kyo sukashi tsuba rather than being some kind of early choushuu work), though I think this is later than that (so you'd call it what, Edo period kyo sukashi work?)

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..