Shipping to the UK from Europe - Receiver now to pay import fees?

I have shipped an item to the UK from Europe and the receiver has been asked to pay around 20% import fees. Is this right?! I thought there had been a Brexit deal making shippiments between the UK and Europe free of any import duties?

The receiver asked me to pay half of import duties which I do feel is not my responsibility by any means.

Doesn’t apply to VAT. Or rather VAT is now applicable on purchases of goods and services from the EU into the UK at 20% unless there’s an exemption. As Michael says, items that are antiques only attract a 5% charge, but the dispatch paperwork needs to identify them as antiques otherwise the full rate is payable. 

Lets not get too carried away gentlemen, it is early days and yes there are some issues while people get used to the changes. I don't see any change currently regarding import duties or VAT on antique swords. I guess services such as restoration may be a different issue.

Don't get me wrong I was very keen to remain part of Europe and hold Farage, Johnson and co largely to account but please don't forget the part Brussels played in this and the original problem which created the initial platform for Farage to perform on. They were also part of the separation agreement so carry equal responsibility for any disruption in the system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..