Is this one too far gone?

Been looking at this waki on the online auctions for the past few weeks. It has some really intense rust spots on it but I can tell there is a really nice blade underneath. 

You guys think its worth putting a bid in? Could it be salvaged? I

Japanese Samurai Sword With Two-Hole Tang

It could be but, you’d need a professional polisher to see it in hand for an educated view and even then there might be nasty surprises when the job is done.

It probably wouldn’t make economic sense to spend money on this: add the purchase price to the cost of a polish plus add-ons and you can get a good sword in polish and risk free. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

It could be but, you’d need a professional polisher to see it in hand for an educated view and even then there might be nasty surprises when the job is done.

It probably wouldn’t make economic sense to spend money on this: add the purchase price to the cost of a polish plus add-ons and you can get a good sword in polish and risk free. 

Agree about the professional polisher - but it should be a MASTER polisher imo. Robert Benson took on my project which is still on-going. He said that there looked like there was enough metal there to do the polishing job. But, I took it to him and he EXAMINED it - NOT through pictures.

Benson2.jpg

thumb_DSCN4090.jpg

thumb_DSCN4095.jpg

thumb_DSCN4096.jpg

The blade is up for auction and only in double digit prices right now but that is bound to go up. This blade just caught my eye for some reason but those rust spots are unlike other rust I have seen and really ugly too. Such a shame because the blade looks like it would look amazing in full polish.

Thanks for everyone's reply. Ill try to get it cheaply and then maybe keep it as a project sword.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..