T94 Koshirae Markings

MasahigeDen

Hello all, I am a longtime reader of the site but a first-time poster in this section, so please excuse me if this is not the correct section for this matter. 

I have a typical Type 94 mounting set with a tsuka fitted to a Nihonto (a Fujiwara Saneyuki, Hawley ID SAN 572 if you're curious) and I would like help in identifying the producer of this particular set. It does not have any of the well-known private maker or arsenal marks on the tsuba or any other component. As you can see, there is a circled 'chu' character above another I can't quite make out on the tsuka as well as a kanji repetition  of the stamped assembly number '49' pencilled in. On several of the seppa (left side in picture) there appears to be a very small symbol resembling a triangle over a letter 'u', which bears a vague resemblance to the Nakano Shoten logo. Any insight is greatly appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.42.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.43.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.43.36 PM.png

On 1/8/2021 at 6:47 AM, Bruce Pennington said:

I can't help with the writing.  I see what you're saying about the stamp.  If it was the Nakano mark, it's so incomplete it's not possible to nail it down to that.  I'm putting in my files under "unknown."  I do love that tiny "9" just right of the "4"!!! How interesting!

Thanks Bruce, glad to know I wasn't missing anything obvious! It does seem to be a mystery maker then. 

20 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

中 Middle

maybe abbreviation(陸軍 Army

ホ=Ho

四九=49

WechatIMG1479.jpeg

WechatIMG1480.jpeg

Thanks so much, Trystan! I expect you're right about the abbreviation 'Rikugun' there. I wonder whether 'chu' and 'riku' might be maker indicators that the tsuka was medium-size stock and intended for finishing as an Army mounting. 

8 hours ago, MasahigeDen said:

Thanks so much, Trystan! I expect you're right about the abbreviation 'Rikugun' there. I wonder whether 'chu' and 'riku' might be maker indicators that the tsuka was medium-size stock and intended for finishing as an Army mounting. 

It's very possible that mark may indicate the Midsize for Tsuka, it looks has smaller space for the tang than the usual ones.

(Ho) is Army Arsenal Kokura First Factory inspection mark(小倉陸軍造兵廠第一製造所廠検査印).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

It's very possible that mark may indicate the Midsize for Tsuka, it looks has smaller space for the tang than the usual ones.

(Ho) is Army Arsenal Kokura First Factory inspection mark(小倉陸軍造兵廠第一製造所廠検査印).

It occurred to me that the 'Ho' could indicate Kokura as it did on official inspections. Do you think it is likely a Kokura production then? I was hesitant, as the mysterious 'bamboo-hatted smiley face' (That will remain stuck in my head by the way, Bruce! :laughing: )  would seem to throw a small wrench into that, but I really have no idea what it means, of course. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..