Another Aikuchi- With a question about the maker

roger dundas

Hello members, hoping that the following photos are satisfactory and clear enough for you fellow Nihonto collectors to see what you want to see ? If not satisfactory  then we are quite happy to try again . We appreciate the irritation of not getting satisfactory illustrations but it is our lack of skill and not our lack of caring.

Aikuchi - 31cms overall,   20.5cm Armor piercing blade, I think,   9.6mm wide blade at hibachi.

Signed : HIZEN NO KUNI TADAYOSHI    ?17th or 18th century. Almost certainly a spurious signature and I was aware of that when purchasing it having previously had a katana with a similar, spurious signature to Tadayoshi (soon advised otherwise).

Suguha hamon in fine polish I was advised.

I purchased it because I liked the blade.

Any and all comments will be welcome.

Roger j

Aikuchi 1.JPG

Aikuchi 2.JPG

Aikuchi 3.JPG

Aikuchi 4.JPG

Aikuchi 5.JPG

Aikuchi 6.JPG

• Like 3

interesting blade Roger well done. I am fascinated by Yoridoshi. In effect  they are  glorified spike but the effort that went in to making them was every bit as great as for other tanto. I was wondering what additional challenges, if any, hardening the edge and boshi on a blade of this thickness might have>

anyway  that's two interesting tanto you have shared with us thank you

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..