Tsuba Translation

Hi Everyone

I am still working hard to learn more as a new guy here.

Wondering if anyone can translate and provide more thoughts on this Tsuba. Not sure when what metals were used for Tsuba, seems that Copper maybe used in the late 19th century?

Thanks for the education as I try to catch up

Jesse

IMG-4964.jpg

• Confused 1

Jesse,

copper was probably the first metal mankind learned to use. This was at the end of the stone age. TSUBA from copper alloys were made long before the EDO period.

The one  you show is younger, perhaps a year old......As Brian remarked, you have to compare with really good authentic TSUBA, so your eyes learn the differences.

Jesse. The tang hole [nakago-ana] is usually the giveaway on fakes, the poorer Chinese ones often have an ambiguous shaped hole that can almost be used upside down. With the cost of copper being up, most fakes are made of cheaper alloys. The colour [iroe] is also a giveaway, most Japanese tsuba have a subdued colouring not garish [ there are exceptions] It is a big learning curve and I doubt there is anyone on NMB who haven't bought a fake at sometime or other. With modern techniques many fakes are getting better and better, so we all need to look out! Brian is correct, the more you see the more you know - I am sure he can scroll through an auction site and automatically dismiss many of the fakes almost instantly. Me, I often need a second glance! :freak:

There is another Chinese made fake here - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tsuba-Sword-Braces-Japanese-Swords-Flange-Weight-156/203232505876?hash=item2f5199f014:g:0K0AAOSwdytf6qmh - Chinese fake being sold from Japan, this is increasingly the case.

You can spot it is fake very easily if you notice the hitsu-ana, it has casting spills into what should be clear space.

image.png.aeb15e18627caaea5e8e6985f93cc0a8.png

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..