Hmm...so what do we have here?

Real Japanese swords almost never come up for sale in SA. And a shinsakuto? NEVER.
So I'm pretty puzzled by this one popping up on a local auction site. Especially since the seller seems to know nothing about them aside from what they looked up.
And without them mentioning any of the needed/important details, I can only assume there is something funny here or that they don't know much about it.
I sent a question, got no reply. I'm just curious what we have here. Can't read half the mei, and doesn't seem to be a nengo. Is that possible on a shinsakuto with torokusho? I thought it would need to be dated.

I had thought it might be a Komonjo special, but not with that paperwork I'm guessing.
The price is silly anyways. About $10,000. But curious to hear your thoughts and theories.
https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/496803967/Japanese_Shinken_made_in_the_traditional_way_w_Tamahagane_by_modern_registered_sword_smith.html

ldsnf43.jpg

Chatted to the owner, who seems to have gotten it about 2007 through an agent. Paid a LOT of money....could have bought a really nice Koto maybe.
Didn't know much about them, just had extra cash and figured it would be a nice thing to have.
I mentioned how a shinsakuto usually takes a big knock when selling, as it is someone else's custom order.  They don't increase in price at this level.
Personally I would value this about $5000 max...(not buying) What do others think?

• Like 1

He's down to $6000 on the package. Bought in 2007, made in 2004. Still mint.
Beautiful sword, but not sure if it would sell in SA. Not sure it would sell overseas either...I don't know the shinsakuto market. Is $6000 sellable?

I don’t know if it would sell, but I know I would never have bought it before I finally got to buy one. It’s truly extraordinary to look at a sword in its prime. It made me change my mind completely about Shinsakuto.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:51 PM, Shugyosha said:

The tsuka's wrap on the first one, never seen anything like it:o Seems pretty intricate and well done. The fittings however..

• 1 year later...

Damn damn damn....
Over a year later, and this just popped up again on my radar.
Seller is now more than motivated, and it's offered at under $3500. Waaaaaaay less than he paid.
Argh. I don't have $3500. But that is a heck of a deal. :phew:
I'm sweating. I don't handle temptation well. :rotfl:

Seems like a decent deal when compared to the original auction starting price. Seeing my previous post it's good to confirm my original thoughts on the tsuba, the wrap however is still very pleasing to my eyes ☺️ 

Is there a new auction link?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..