Sign in to follow this  
niels j

Question Myochin Munekane armor in Leiden

Hello,

My name is Niels and I am a history student at Utrecht university. Nice forum you all have. 

Im writing a thesis about the Myochin Munekane armor in the Volkenkunde museum in Leiden. I discovered it's probably gifted by a Japanese shogun to the Dutch king William the third in 1855 after The Netherlands gifted a ship to Japan. But I found it hard to find a reliable source about this. Without source I can't use this interesting information.  

Does anyone on this forum have a source about this information? A newspaper, a letter, a reliable website, it's all just perfect. One sentence about the gift would be enough. 

Looking forward to your reply's. I added a photo of the armour for making sure where talking about the same piece. 

Kind regards, Niels

image.png.fbc6b46aff03686c07153fa72165e82d.png

Hey Niels, Ik begin nu aan een werkstuk over dit pantser, ik studeer in Utrecht. Ik heb nog niks echt gevonden, helaas, maar mocht ik iets vinden zal ik het meteen laten weten! Ik zal hier ook blijven kijken. 

had je al op deze thread gekeken? Misschien begrijp ik het verkeerd, maar dit kan dus hetzelfde pantser zijn ( of niet), maar misschien dat deze OP meer weet. Hij lijkt de familie te kennen. Het plaatje komt redelijk overeen. 

Edited by RdR
Toevoeging

Dag Niels, wat wil je juist weten?

het harnas was een gift van de Shogun aan de koning van Nederland.

er is nogal wat geschiedenis rond.

40 minutes ago, Luc T said:

Dag Niels, wat wil je juist weten?

het harnas was een geschenk van de Shogun aan de koning van Nederland.

er is nogal wat geschiedenis rond.

Heeft u iets van een bron toevallig over het pantser of de maker? 

I suggest that, as a Board rule, the posts must be written in English/American😄 Otherwise, discuss in PM.

• Like 2

Hello everyone,

I've similar question as Niels and Ruben, does anyone have any credible source about the author of the armor or the history behind it? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

15 hours ago, RdR said:

Heeft u iets van een bron toevallig over het pantser of de maker? 

Niels, i have a lot of info about this armor.  It is made by Munekane yes.

I also have a copy of the original diary, but it is in Japanese.  In the diary, thereis the description of the set as it can de seen today.   More information can be asked at Dr Bas Verberk, the curator of the Cologne Asian museum.  I can send you his coordinates if you want.

Luc, would it be possible that you share Dr Bas Verberk's contact information? I think it'd be of great help for Niels, Ruben and me since there is barely any information about the armor or Munekane on the internet.

Ruben and Niels, I found a source that might come in hand for both of you. It's a document written by Dr Bas Verberk and it does mention the armor we are investigating and history behind it.

https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/42750/De_gemaskerde_krijger_Bas_Verberk_proefschrift.pdf?sequence=2

Many thanks for the reply's and the sources, it will help me with writing the essay. 

I had contact with the curator of Museum Volkenkunde in Leiden (Daan Kok) and he also confirmed it was a gift from shogun Tokugawa Iesada to Willem the third. 

Goodluck with your work Aleksander and Ruben!

And thanks Luc for your information. 

My question was indeed if it was a gift from the shogun. It is answered now. 

Ik denk dat met de beschikbaarheid van vrije en bekwame vertaalsoftware er geen behoefte is aan een regel die zich beperkt tot berichten die alleen in het Engels zijn.

-t:)

Meskien. Maar wat as ek skielik begin net in Afrikaans pos? Nee......laat ons maar ook in Engels vertaal asseblief.

"Maybe. But what if I suddenly begin posting only in Afrikaans? No....let's rather also translate into English please"