still looking for my blade - Maybe that one ? CHIKUZEN NOBUKUNI

kaliatur

Hi,

Still looking for a new blade...

I didn't want to make this topic because there was controversy about this ebay seller...But ebay have good protection so it is not a problem...

I would like expertise about this blade because I have lots of questions and some worries...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERB-Japanese-SWORD-SHINTO-KATANA-by-CHIKUZEN-NOBUKUNI-ca-1620-HORIMONO/274606328878

- I love the beautiful Hamon and the horimono.

- The sayagaki signed by a famous expert...but why put plactic foil on it ? it really protect the written? for me it is strange (something to hide?)

- I don't know what kind of certificate is Torokusho ? authentic certificate ? quality certificate ? does it really have any value? It is very important for me a good certificate.

- For me it is difficult to see hada of the blade, I think the picture are not enought detailed. It is difficult to see the real state of the blade. (or I'am getting old and need better glasses)

I asked more pictures to the seller but he said "there are enough pictures, I can't do better" according to him, there is only a little scratch near sohei-hi. That bother me a lot not to see more details from the sword

- I don't know smithes CHIKUZEN NOBUKUNI , I search for them but don't seems to be very famous? there are 3 generation of NOBUKUNI from Chikuzen province. Somebody have more information?

The seller send me a better private offer about price but it is lots of money, I don't want to make a mistake, this is an investment too

Thank you for your help

Dear Geoffroy.

To answer some of your questions:  Torokusho is a Japanese government registration only, it is not a paper in the usual sense, it forms no sort of guarantee about the blade.  It does suggest that the blade has come form Japan and some would want to know why it therefore has no papers.  However it has sayagaki by a well known expert.  Wrapping thin plastic around the saya to protect this is not a problem though, of course, you can remove it if you buy the sword.

Here is a start. http://www.sho-shin.com/chikuzen-nobukuni.html

Chikuzen Nobukuni school is well known and usually well regarded, I cannot speak for the mei on this one. You should be able to find examples which are paper online to compare.  You should also be able to find other examples of sayagaki to compare.  I have not personally dealt with the seller but if I recall someone didn't like the way in which he priced his items, nothing to worry about if you have been in contact and agreed a price with him.

For me it is always difficult to see swords as an investment, I know that there are those who do collect this way.  

I know that others will add to this but do let us know how this turns out.

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Yasaka Azuma said:

Want a sword with the names of a Japanese comedian and the emperor on it?

明治天皇恩賜大村崑秘蔵傑作『筑州住信国』彫見事寒山鞘書献上刀

https://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/w110297343/

大村崑

https://asianwiki.com/Kon_Omura

WTF? look like a scam?

I know AOIJapan and I find beautiful blade on this website

Sorry but I am still shocked about what 's you're point for...we talk about an ebay seller validate by lots of users of this board...how sad :(

I did not intend buy this blade because of lack of detailed pictures of the blade (and no paper) but ebay is a ruthless world...

at least it will be useful for collectors who will want to buy from this seller...

Thanks yakozen nice find :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, kaliatur said:

- I love the beautiful Hamon and the horimono.

- The sayagaki signed by a famous expert...but why put plactic foil on it ? it really protect the written? for me it is strange (something to hide?)

- I don't know what kind of certificate is Torokusho ? authentic certificate ? quality certificate ? does it really have any value? It is very important for me a good certificate.

- For me it is difficult to see hada of the blade, I think the picture are not enought detailed. It is difficult to see the real state of the blade. (or I'am getting old and need better glasses)

I asked more pictures to the seller but he said "there are enough pictures, I can't do better" according to him, there is only a little scratch near sohei-hi. That bother me a lot not to see more details from the sword

- I don't know smithes CHIKUZEN NOBUKUNI , I search for them but don't seems to be very famous? there are 3 generation of NOBUKUNI from Chikuzen province. Somebody have more information?

The seller send me a better private offer about price but it is lots of money, I don't want to make a mistake, this is an investment too

Thank you for your help

The seller is a well reputated professional.

I can see the hada clearly on this also a lot of nie.

It looks like a nice and stunning sword.

The fail protects the writing. If someone with wet hands touch it the ink will smudging. So it is only a protection. You will get a sayagaki allways rubbed in foil to avoid damage.

Can i ask you how much you get in the private offer?

Btw the polish looks perfect. Clear and sharp lines. And the horimono if fine.

Sayagakis get swapped or faked all the time. 

For this price level you better get a papered blades and stay away from the snake pits (Ebay, YJP, etc). 

If you want a high-quality sword at a steep discount get a mumei muromachi and later swords, papered and attributed to a great smith. 

For example: https://tokka.biz/sword/tsunahiro3.html

23 minutes ago, vajo said:

The seller is a well reputated professional.

I can see the hada clearly on this also a lot of nie.

It looks like a nice and stunning sword.

The fail protects the writing. If someone with wet hands touch it the ink will smudging. So it is only a protection. You will get a sayagaki allways rubbed in foil to avoid damage.

Can i ask you how much you get in the private offer?

Btw the polish looks perfect. Clear and sharp lines. And the horimono if fine.

You are not alone to say this and I believe it until the link of Yokozen...

coincidence ? it is the 1st time I see plastic foil on sayagaki and ok I can imagine why.

But on the picture on the Aucfan website : the sword and sayagaki is the same, it look like a reproduction

Maybe it is a mistake but this is the facts.

I would not take the risk on this item or any other from this seller

I don't denigrate the seller, I let everyone think what they want

Guys i cant hear that "dont buy on ebay" anymore. :laughing:

Thats crazy.

Most of us sell their stuff on ebay and other plattforms. And yes you buy on AOI Art and other dealers. And then after some time you want sell it because you want another. Where did you want to sell your swords?

Ebay is not better or more worse, than any other places. But you have on ebay some advantage in buying and selling. 

My experience wasn't bad over the time with ebay.

Speak with the seller.

Good luck with that discussion.

3 minutes ago, vajo said:

Guys i cant hear that "dont buy on ebay" anymore. :laughing:

Thats crazy.

Most of us sell their stuff on ebay and other plattforms. And yes you buy on AOI Art and other dealers. And than after time you want sell it because you want another. And then - where you sell your swords which you have bought?

Good luck with that discussion.

I never said "don't buy on ebay" and I don't denigrate ebay seller

I talk about my experience and everybody think by themself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..