Value of mumei wakizashi

Horuy

I just made an impulse buy on ebay of a mumei wakizashi, luckly I didn't spend too much on it. I don't know much nihonto, I just want to know if it’s total junk or worth the $105 I paid for it. Notice the kissaki is broken off

Peter,

if you paid  $105.-- then it was the actual value. Another question is what you want to do with it. In its current state, it will degrade more and more, but a professional polish to preserve and admire its potential beauty will cost a bit more than that....

Sell it further. You have no experience with such a blade and as Jean said it will degrade further when you hold it. I personally would not buy it for 100 Dollar or less. Maybe a polisher can reshape the boshi but the rest of the blade looks not promising to me.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up asking the seller if the can cancel the order, which he did.

I collect swords as historical objects an fighting weapons (not so mush as art objects) so a good polish is not too important to me. My goal is to eventually have a nihonto in my collection, so I’ll research and save up for a regular wakizashi out of polish, with fittings (but still in one piece :) and without active rust).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..