Value of mumei wakizashi

I just made an impulse buy on ebay of a mumei wakizashi, luckly I didn't spend too much on it. I don't know much nihonto, I just want to know if it’s total junk or worth the $105 I paid for it. Notice the kissaki is broken off

Kind of both. 

It may be a traditionally made Japanese sword but it’s unlikely that there’s any buried treasure there. It’s hard to tell much from the pictures but the fittings look antique ( but pretty rough) so there’s perhaps hope for the blade. Back in the day there were lots of samurai and the majority of them had a cheap work-a-day sword or two and, if not a fake, this is probably one of those. 

If it is genuine, you haven’t wasted much money and if you have an interest in the subject then the value is on what you might learn from it. 

When  you get it, post some more pictures and I’m sure you’ll get some more information. Don’t be tempted to do any home renovations beyond oiling the blade as modern abrasive products won’t make it better. Don’t clean the tang as the colour there is an indicator of age and removing it destroys an important clue as to that. 

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of Japanese swords - beware and investment of $100 might lead to far greater expense in the future. 😬

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shugyosha said:

Kind of both. 

It may be a traditionally made Japanese sword but it’s unlikely that there’s any buried treasure there. It’s hard to tell much from the pictures but the fittings look antique ( but pretty rough) so there’s perhaps hope for the blade. Back in the day there were lots of samurai and the majority of them had a cheap work-a-day sword or two and, if not a fake, this is probably one of those. 

If it is genuine, you haven’t wasted much money and if you have an interest in the subject then the value is on what you might learn from it. 

When  you get it, post some more pictures and I’m sure you’ll get some more information. Don’t be tempted to do any home renovations beyond oiling the blade as modern abrasive products won’t make it better. Don’t clean the tang as the colour there is an indicator of age and removing it destroys an important clue as to that. 

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of Japanese swords - beware and investment of $100 might lead to far greater expense in the future. 😬

Awesome, thanks for the info 🙂

Peter,

You are on a learning curve and that is good. Welcome aboard, buckle up.

The good news is that you have lost - well spent - only a hundred bucks so your babies will not starve. You may also learn some things from owning this little sword , but I seriously doubt that you will make any financial gain out of this sorry dung-ball. Stuff wears out and this sword looks to me like a legitimate old sword that passed it spend down phase a couple of times. I bet it was  made before 1596 and it certainly was a katana that passed thru a couple of phases before it was cut down to what a commoner could carry and then was kind of smushed down so it would go in a sword cane or something like that. It may even have been some manner of gunto. But then it ended in is a scrap pile that Japanese dealers sorted and inspected AND REJECTED. Since ti was valueless in the Land of the Rising Yen, it was exported and TA-DAAH you got it.

Welcome aboard, buckled up.

Peter

15 minutes ago, Peter Bleed said:

Peter,

You are on a learning curve and that is good. Welcome aboard, buckle up.

The good news is that you have lost - well spent - only a hundred bucks so your babies will not starve. You may also learn some things from owning this little sword , but I seriously doubt that you will make any financial gain out of this sorry dung-ball. Stuff wears out and this sword looks to me like a legitimate old sword that passed it spend down phase a couple of times. I bet it was  made before 1596 and it certainly was a katana that passed thru a couple of phases before it was cut down to what a commoner could carry and then was kind of smushed down so it would go in a sword cane or something like that. It may even have been some manner of gunto. But then it ended in is a scrap pile that Japanese dealers sorted and inspected AND REJECTED. Since ti was valueless in the Land of the Rising Yen, it was exported and TA-DAAH you got it.

Welcome aboard, buckled up.

Peter

Thanks Peter, it will make for a good conversation starter if nothing else

Dear Peter.

Either a conversation starter or a conversation killer.  I have found that people react in some very interesting ways to Japanese swords, some, a few, are fascinated and want to know more.  Quite a lot of people find themselves very uncomfortable around them.  You will quickly learn to recognise the shutters coming down over the eyes of those who are not interested.  You will probably also meet the, "Wow! Let's swing it around, who cares about the furnishings!" group and the, "Yes, well of course I know all there is to know about these things, I saw a samurai film a few years ago."  

Hopefully you will also meet some fellow collectors who love them, will guide you if you are ready to be guided, and teach you a lot along the way as well as having a great time looking at swords.:)

Enjoy the ride.

All the best.

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up asking the seller if the can cancel the order, which he did.

I collect swords as historical objects an fighting weapons (not so mush as art objects) so a good polish is not too important to me. My goal is to eventually have a nihonto in my collection, so I’ll research and save up for a regular wakizashi out of polish, with fittings (but still in one piece :) and without active rust).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..