WTB my first Katana or Wakizashi

tomt

Hi there, I'm quite new to all this and am looking for a decent Katana or Wakizashi to start off my collection, something that will hopefully go up in value over time and I can display proudly. 

Unfortunately my budget is only around $1300 USD so I'm happy to get something unsigned without papers with some wear, as long as it's still presentable and doesn't have any fatal flaws.

Obviously a blade with fittings and in good nic with a nice or at least noticeable Hamon would be preferable, but I realise that might be asking a bit much for the price. 

If you've got an old sword you want to go to a good home, Id appreciate any offers. Saves me from getting screwed on eBay.

Thanks

p.s I'm from Australia, but happy to pay shipping from anywhere 

6 hours ago, Vermithrax16 said:

2 hours ago, DTM72 said:

Auction starts at 180,000 yen. I expect it will obtain more bids once it nears auction end date.

Yeah, if I could get that sword at that price I would be very happy indeed 

3 hours ago, Shugyosha said:

Hi Tom,

Have you seen this one?

Hey cheers,

but yeah, nihontoCollector sent me a message, so ive seen it, im really considering it. its a pretty good sword in your opinion?

Have a look at this 15th c. wakizashi:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/sword3.html

Kojima san is a Japanese sword smith (Kei'un Naohiro) and his wife runs the Usagiya online shop. Descriptions are always totally honest, sometimes to the point of discouraging potential buyers. You would get a koto - a 600 years old sword, pretty long for a wakizashi. And you can have a payment schedule. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marius said:

Have a look at this 15th c. wakizashi:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/sword3.html

Kojima san is a Japanese sword smith (Kei'un Naohiro) and his wife runs the Usagiya online shop. Descriptions are always totally honest, sometimes to the point of discouraging potential buyers. You would get a koto - a 600 years old sword, pretty long for a wakizashi. And you can have a payment schedule. 

Thanks for the link! That looks great and the payment plan is perfect. Any idea what the main reason is for the lower price?

3 hours ago, tomt said:

its a pretty good sword in your opinion?

Hello Tom, no it is NOT a pretty good sword. In my humble oppinion it is a decent starter sword. With a good JIgane to enjoy and study and is priced accordingly being suriage, not being in polish (while much is visible) and having unopened Fukure.

I am not into cars but would say that a Porsche is a pretty good car in general but you have to pay accordingly. Again that depends on ones own expectations. In my cheap oppinion a pretty good Wakizashi will cost more than twice your budget. 5k and upwards will buy you a pretty good Wakizashi. At 1300 USD you will want to find the best bang for your buck but it will never be pretty good unless somebody give ist away way under its value ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tom, the price has been lowered, as there were no takers when it was higher. Obvious, I know :)

the price is probably not a screaming bargain but it seems fair. The sword is tired (polished down), nakago is deteriorated. This is all reflected in the price. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marius said:

Tom, the price has been lowered, as there were no takers when it was higher. Obvious, I know :)

the price is probably not a screaming bargain but it seems fair. The sword is tired (polished down), nakago is deteriorated. This is all reflected in the price. 

For a sword so old, i imagine its not uncommon for them to so tired?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..