Reproduction Japanese Armour

Brendan

Hi There,

I have reproduction a Japanese armour. I don’t know anything about it and I’m trying to figure out what it’s worth. It’s extremely heavy and is made out of steel, silk, horse hair and a hell of a lot of rope. I’ll post a pic, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a mil. 

96CD6471-D608-4980-80F7-4DDA58D7BC6E.jpeg

So where are our armour guys?
I asked Brendan to post it here. He came across it on a sale here, and no-one knows anything about it. It's obviously reproduction, but no idea if it's Chinese, Japanese, semi decent or not.
Also, what does a display armour like this go for? I'm also interested to find out, since stuff like this never comes up here in SA.
@IanB @Shogun8 @Luc T @uwe @myochin

3 hours ago, Brian said:

So where are our armour guys?
I asked Brendan to post it here. He came across it on a sale here, and no-one knows anything about it. It's obviously reproduction, but no idea if it's Chinese, Japanese, semi decent or not.
Also, what does a display armour like this go for? I'm also interested to find out, since stuff like this never comes up here in SA.
@IanB @Shogun8 @Luc T @uwe @myochin

Hi Brendan and Brian,

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about reproduction armour (except the ability to tell that it's reproduction). I do know that there are a number of people who are more immersed in this world on Facebook and Instagram, if you don't find any help here.

Uhm, what should I say....
Reproduction armor is a field of its own and I’m not really familiar with that.

However, obviously it is supposed to represent an “大鎧” (Ō-Yoroi, or “great armor”). This type dates back to the Heian up to the Nambokuchō period (roughly). Unfortunately, neither the construction of the dō itself, nor most of the attached parts (kabuto, kote, haidate) doesn’t even come close to the model. I could go into more detail, but I don’t know if that will help?!

It might be looking nice once displayed (if you can ignore the historical inaccuracies).

Concerning the price......a gut feeling, but no clue! 

Not familiar with armor but I've seen Japanese style reproduction stuff for so long, I'd guess this to be Hanwei's version of Takeda Shingen armor. I don't think they carry it in their lineup anymore. Here is link to a one listed up at European reproduction sword shop. https://www.celticwebmerchant.com/en/hanwei-samurai-armor-of-takeda-shingen.html

• Like 1

Once again you come through for us Jussi!  Well done, I think you are 100% correct.
Missing the box...not sure if anything else. Hanwei is a large repro house Brendan. Good quality reproductions. I think your asking price is about right for the SA market, and that overseas it would be about $1000 at a wild guess.

Let me know if it doesn't sell and maybe we can work something out.

Hmmm, hello Brian, happy new year!  I just woke up...

repro armor. ..  why not, but I can’t say much about it.

some Young Japanese try to make an old style yoroi once in their life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..