Another copper NCO

Here's a photo of the tang on one of mine to compare with the original swords tang.

Identical except for the repair on the topic piece.

I am experienced with metal work/welding etc and in my opinion it appears to have been brazed, not welded, as can be seen by the slag and residues left over from being coated in flux.

I would not think that this is not a repair done 'in period' ... remember war is raging, swords are in short supply and who's going to look under there anyway?

I think this could also be true 'post war' but not my first choice.  The tang phot was the smallest in size and would have been nicer if it wasn't.

An 'in hand inspection' would be ideal and help date the repair better.

To Vayo, you are correct in saying any welding/ heat applied would render the blade in need of re-tempering, however, it is possible it do repairs such as this.

The key here is the location... the extreme tip of the tang, a wrapped wet cloth would be enough, this is evidenced by the limited range shown in the heat 'rainbow'

zzzz.jpg

zzza.jpg

zzzb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Stegel said:

Looks like a good job ,but the fonts are the give away clues to me.

It always amazes me that you're able to spot these gunto as they move around the market!

Here's a picture of my saya throat, without number, next to the 5809. You can see old grind marks on mine, but the copper inner lining is aged properly.  5809 has grind marks that look modern.  It has rust inside the numbers, so if it was a modern job, he did a really good job aging it, which is possible as I've heard.

887147182_coppersayathroat.JPG.c8e748a0c54f41d4d5458bc3d0dd8adb.JPGIMG_1025.thumb.jpg.aae9f9504c00b12dcf6163e6bbb48a58.jpg

A question that arises is the time period in which these swords were manufactured.  On 1938-07-05, a mekugi 目釘 was added to the tsuka 柄 yet these swords still only have a hatome neji 鳩目ねじ [see note below].  This would seem to indicate production took place right about the time of the change in mid-1938.

5809 = hatome neji only.

5847 = hatome neji only.

5875 = hatome neji only.

6320 = hatome neji only.

6444 = hatome neji only.

==============================

6787 = hatome neji and mekugi [aluminium tsuka].

7118 = hatome neji and mekugi [aluminium tsuka].

ditto  = and all those that follow after.

Note:  The hatome neji 鳩目ねじ can be translated into over twenty different English names.  For example, a grommet screw in the US or a grummet screw in the UK.  Another is barrel screw.  Feel free to substitute another English name for the part.  All that matters is that the Japanese called them a hatome neji 鳩目ねじ.

鳩目 = literally means eyelet.

ねじ = screw [have also seen it spelled ねぢ].

• Like 1

Seems that Screw called differently on Type 95 and Type 98? It called 鳩目On Type 98,目釘(猿手受兼用)on Type 95.Maybe because of 目釘 go through the tang 鳩目 doesn't?

PS:The collectors in China call that screw 大目釘 or 尾部目釘(尾部螺絲)for Type 95.

WechatIMG1482.jpeg

WechatIMG1481.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Type 98

Interesting observation Trystan.  I took a look at the one on my Mantetsu, thinking it went all the way through, but it doesn't.  Consequently, in English, I wouldn't call these "barrel screws" like I do the ones on my 95s.  I don't know exactly what I'd call them! "Eyelets that screw into the kabutogane" is a really big "name" to use!

On 1/9/2021 at 3:35 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

Seems that Screw called differently on Type 95 and Type 98? It called 鳩目On Type 98,目釘(猿手受兼用)on Type 95.Maybe because of 目釘 go through the tang 鳩目 doesn't?

PS:The collectors in China call that screw 大目釘 or 尾部目釘(尾部螺絲)for Type 95.

Thought i'd mention that the screw described, is different between the Copper handled Pattern 1 and the Aluminium Handled Pattern 2. (not talking about the type 94/98 screw)

It is longer by a few millimetres in the pattern2

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..