Sword Made For Emperor Hirohito?

DTM72

It was not uncommon for blades to be made as gifts for the imperial household, but a lot of those blades never even got to the emperor's hands. This one appears to have all the correct paperwork and provenance, but with anything asking for so much money, a lot of research is merited. $70,000 might be a steal... or more likely, just insane.. I think this blade has been floating around for awhile on eBay. I would avoid out of principle. You're really buying the provenance here.. which can always be falsified. But I am no expert in the subject, that price alone is pretty scary.

• Like 1

There was a similar sword on the market in Australia about a year ago, with a similar story for about half that price. 

The asking price of this one would probably be justified if there is an official order or request from the Emperor to make this sword, rather than made as a gift or celebration. 

Then, why isn't it in the Royal Family sword collection, or being sought by a Japanese museum? 

I have and have seen swords made in WW2 for "The Royal Prince" and "The Crown Prince" by makers like Sadakatsu, but these are celebration swords. 

Anyway, it would look nice in my collection! Akihide is a good sword smith.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..