Inquiry - Type 95 Copper Shin Gunto?

Hello!

Going through my small war collectibles stash during break and started looking deeper into this one.  What im reading is potentially a Type 95 Shin Gunto with copper Tsuba.

I welcome the boards thoughts on if I am off or not.  Just starting my journey with this piece, even though it has been in storage for 20 years.

Thanks!

IMG-4907.jpg

IMG-4910.jpg

Nice one Jesse!  Close on the assembly line to mine!

1583091453_2015-09-2106_55_40.thumb.jpg.7880bbbc96b5fda56c6a814e06260735.jpg

If you haven't already read these, start with Ohmura:http://ohmura-study.net/957.html

Stu W at Warrelics: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/Japanese-militaria/ija-type-95-nco-sword-info-228172/

Trystan's thread:

And Steve, Shamsy, has an excellent history, which I'm not finding right now, if someone could post a link?

These are the first run of the Type 95 NCO gunto.  They made less than 7,000 of the copper handled, officer-style saya Type 95s.  So ours were made in the first third of the nearly 1 year production (going by memory here, but roughly mid-1937 to early 1938ish). 

I use a standard Japanese cleaning kit that comes with uchiko ball and choji oil.  I've tried 99% alcohol and it does put a bit of a shine to the blade, but it doesn't remove the permanent stains.

5 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Trystan's thread:

And Steve, Shamsy, has an excellent history, which I'm not finding right now, if someone could post a link?

Trystan's thread? :dunno:

Nice sword! Jesse. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

Thanks Trystan!  

Another collector who reached out to me from my linkedin profile wanted me to get a picture of the tang for a signature.  I didnt think machine made blades had signatures?

There is no signature on the tang of the NCO sword.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I added a sarute and NCO leather tassel to mine.  I wouldn't do much more as it's real easy to "clean" off the original patina, paint, and coatings from the various parts (seppa, tsuba, tsuka, etc).  Warm, soapy water on a rag gets most of the grime.  Oiled rag gets most of what's left.  Might be tough to find a barrel screw to replace that wooden mekugi, but it can be done with enough time and searching.

1 hour ago, Infinite_Wisdumb said:

slight blackening

I haven't found anything that removes that.  I have black spots on several blades and it seem permanent.  I've removed the liners on some and found matching black stains on the wood, which I buffed with copper-wool, but it's not known if something in the wood is staining the steel or something in the steel is staining the wood.

20200724_100144.thumb.jpg.4d27f3bfd773532c22066e87becfbf91.jpg

BTW, I couldn't check inside my copper liner as it is super-dooper sealed up!

20200724_100011.jpg

image1.jpeg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..