what does this say on scabbard

rickyfig4

Can anyone take a guess at what the rank could say,

I can try to put up better pictures tomorrow. It would answer if it was a navy or army personnel.

Ive tried looking over and over at the ranks and without one more kanji its hard to put a finger on it.

all the way to to the right.

IMG_1916.jpg

Ill just look as close as possible to army ranks then, all of the officer ranks have that specific kanji identified and only 1 enlisted ranks has it.

So i'm guessing its in the officers then. On another note i did see the kanji for water on the second line, thats why i thought navy.

20 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Rank is 軍曹 Sergeant。It dose have kanji 水上 ,it could be name of place or like what you think-Navy. 

I'm not very educated on Navy ranks.  Do they call their enlisted NCO "軍曹 Sergeant?

On 1/4/2021 at 8:56 PM, rickyfig4 said:

better pictures

Edgar,

I would like to see the kabutogane (the end-cap of the handle), please.

Screenshot 2021-01-06 075646.jpg

Bruce

IJA use 曹長 Sergeant Major 軍曹 Sergeant 伍長Corporal, those guys  normally wearing NCO sword.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Army

IJN use 一等兵曹 Petty officer first class 二等兵曹 Petty officer second class 三等兵曹 Petty officer third class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranks_of_the_Imperial_Japanese_Navy

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:25 AM, BANGBANGSAN said:

Rank is 軍曹 Sergeant。It dose have kanji 水上 ,it could be name of place or like what you think-Navy. 

if it was an army Sergeant, where they known for carrying a scabbard like this with a shortened blade? it measures 23+3/8" cutting edge and 34+3/4" in mountings.

Also I want to say thank you for every ones help! I feel like the more research I do on this Shin-Gunto the more down the rabbit hole I go, and the more I have

questions about stuff

Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about!!! Ha!  You have a nice, old family blade, remounted for the war.  Civilian kabutogane (end-cap) and saya (scabbard), with Army menugi, tsuka, seppa, and leather cover.  Classic. 

And yes, NCO's were officially authorized to carry family swords (both short and long) at the end of the war, but they unofficially carried them all the way back to the Sino-Japanese war of the 1920's.  Yours seems to have been fitted close to the end of the war based on the nice condition of the leather.  You're lucky to have the leather strap with snap.  They are usually broken off.

• Like 1

Your sword looks like 軍属刀(Army civilian employee sword). This style of Gunto shows up all the time, nothing special about the fitting(wood saya with leather cover), unless the blade is special.

later war NCOs allow using their family blade due to the shortage of Arsenal issue NCO sword. Your sword may be one of those.

http://ohmura-study.net/728.html

WechatIMG1466.jpeg

ONSV5354__03.jpg

ON11387__03.jpg

s-l300.jpg

WW2-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Signed-KANEMUNE-WW-II-Old-Antique.jpg

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..