Last ditch variant 4 Gunto

gun addict

Feast your eyes on ...well, the sorriest genuine Gunto you’ll ever seen 

Last ditch. Variant 4 Gunto, there are some disputes on wether these were made for NCOs or officers , one thing for sure, this is definitely not a weapon that inspires pride or confidence to the soldier issued it was to! 

to be quite honest this isn’t typically what I collect , I’d rather trade this for a nice Gendaito or handmade Gunto down the road but for now. I am really marveling at how desperately utilitarian this particular sword is! 

0D8C001C-B966-4C77-999E-C949F3604B6B.jpeg

12DADE72-2FEE-48EB-97D7-AADBECB45DA7.jpeg

Seconding Brandon!

I've read many arguments on both sides, but personally lean toward "late-war officer".  In light of Nick Komiya's revelation of the military orders that great loosened the mil specs on swords and guns in the last months of the war, this gunto is like the Japanese version of the Chinese-made Emergency Late War Gunto.  The IJA had already allowed officers to rent/buy Type 95s early in the war.  Not it's late in the war, suppliers being bombed, etc, why not go back to the 95 makers and have them crank out some more officer gunto.  But that's still just speculation on my part.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gun addict said:

Feast your eyes on ...well, the sorriest genuine Gunto you’ll ever seen 

Last ditch. Variant 4 Gunto, there are some disputes on wether these were made for NCOs or officers , one thing for sure, this is definitely not a weapon that inspires pride or confidence to the soldier issued it was to! 

to be quite honest this isn’t typically what I collect , I’d rather trade this for a nice Gendaito or handmade Gunto down the road but for now. I am really marveling at how desperately utilitarian this particular sword is! 

0D8C001C-B966-4C77-999E-C949F3604B6B.jpeg

12DADE72-2FEE-48EB-97D7-AADBECB45DA7.jpeg

Hang on to it, these are rare.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..