Kunimoto (or Woolworth)?

Cuirassier

Compliments of the season to everyone.

I hope you all are staying safe and well, that life will get back to normal, safely, soon.

I bought a katana as a punt.
Will not ruin my year if it is nothing.

Have really struggled with the mei, so have low expectations (but high hopes as always).

Anyone? Kunimoto (saku)?

kunimoto.jpg

It looks like a pretty decently forged shin-shinto sword and a legit rig, however the nakago patina  feels a little off (cleaned or something?) and the mei looks like it was carved by someone who never held a chisel and feels like it was added (to my eyes anyway).  Interesting.

Doug

• Like 2

Hi Guys.
Happy New Year; I hope 2021 sees the end of the covid curse for everyone.

Seller (to me) says his grandfather brought it back to the UK at the end of WW2. I hear this a LOT (everyone says their Chinese shop swords are antique family hand downs). But the tsuba got me, as it is one of the type of those recognized by Richard Fuller for civilian swords for military use). I wish I could pot more photos, but have reached the limit. Of real interest (to me) is the sword knot that came with it. Clearly original to the period, it is not a Japanese army sword knot as these have flat cord. This uses round substantial cord, but it is well made.

The same is same, and the furniture well made. But I agree, when I saw the mei I was puzzled and then, soon after, went "Oh s**t". But the blade is clearly well made, though probably oil tempered. It has a Choji-midare ha (cloves) type hamon in places (sorry, I am not good with the camera), which is not one of the easily etched / forgery hamons. Plus the blade is BIG. So the mei was added later, maybe it is an expression like "God made this"? I tried for ages to work it out and am glad, in a way, you all had problems with it too (thanks very much for trying).

I am certain the seller is legit in what he says. He said his gramp never ever talked about WW2, which I know many vets did not.

Death to covid, soon

5 hours ago, Cuirassier said:

is the sword knot that came with it. Clearly original to the period, it is not a Japanese army sword knot as these have flat cord. This uses round substantial cord, but it is well made.

OK, no fair teasing!  If you can't post pics of it, PM me and I'll give you my email.  I'll post them.

5 hours ago, Cuirassier said:

Death to covid

Well said!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..