Jump to content
Bruce Pennington

Emergency Late War Officer Gunto

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Kiipu said:

leatherette."  Is this an accurate description of the composition?

I would be interested to hear from people that on these concerning that question too. I have one that I thought was a Chinese fake, but after reading this it might be what you were talking about. I don’t have it in hand right now, but when I can get to it I will take some photographs and post it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since posting, I have learned that the word leatherette could just mean "fake leather."

Artificial leather

 

However, in the context of World War II, the 2014 post could also be referring to what is called presstoff (also preßstoff or pressstoff).

Presstoff

 

The Japanese developed a saya (scabbard) cover made out of paper during the war too.

Pressed-paper Saya Cover

 

Hopefully, BangBangSan will also look into what the Chinese character(s) are and see if something like this was used in China during Word War II.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave R said:

 What does the K mean then?

 

Is it possible the K is for Kaneshiro Sakuganki Seizo 金城鑿岩機製造 same as the company  made Type 30 bayonet?

 

KK.jpg

DSC00023-12.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

K is for Kaneshiro Sakuganki Seizo 金城鑿岩機製造

Thanks Trystan!  Unless anyone has something better, I’d put that in the “possibly” to “likely” range.

 

Do you know where they were located?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Trystan!  Unless anyone has something better, I’d put that in the “possibly” to “likely” range.

 

Do you know where they were located?

Nagoya

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Nagoya

Welllllllll ..... that conflicts with the idea of these being made in China,  UNLESS, like Nick pointed out, they moved their operations to China due to the bombing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Welllllllll ..... that conflicts with the idea of these being made in China,  UNLESS, like Nick pointed out, they moved their operations to China due to the bombing.

I thought we were talking about that K mark in the star, that blade says 刀劍鋼(Steel for sword).Not the 應 blade。I don't think that sword  was made in China at all.

 

1259150938_Thekanjijustsaysswordsteel.thumb.jpg.5f32ceb9557949fab7c45cd2110f327d.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

I don't think that sword  was made in China at all.

Probably right.  Stegel probably included this in his post thinking it was one of the Emergency stamped blades, but it's not, as we can see now.  Glad we were able to toss it around, though.  Got another stamp for the Stamps Doc with a "possible" shop name!  Thanks Trystan!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Nagoya

 

 Using a reverse image search I tracked this back to a conversation on Gunboards in 2014   https://www.gunboards.com/threads/late-war-shin-gunto-or-post-war-tourist-copy.356639/   and of course all the photo's and links are dead, but ended at Ebay....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave R said:

 

 Using a reverse image search I tracked this back to a conversation on Gunboards in 2014   https://www.gunboards.com/threads/late-war-shin-gunto-or-post-war-tourist-copy.356639/   and of course all the photo's and links are dead, but ended at Ebay....

 

Dave

I'm sorry for the confusing,I mean Kaneshiro Sakuganki Seizo 金城鑿岩機製造 is located in Nagoyo.

Most of photos in that post it's gone,only few photos of the Chinese made sword with 應 mark .I'm  talking about the swords with 刀劍鋼(Steel for sword) and the K in the star mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Trystan!  Unless anyone has something better, I’d put that in the “possibly” to “likely” range.

 

Do you know where they were located?

Bruce

I'm sorry for the confusing,I mean Kaneshiro Sakuganki Seizo 金城鑿岩機製造 is located in Nagoyo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Dave

I'm sorry for the confusing,I mean Kaneshiro Sakuganki Seizo 金城鑿岩機製造 is located in Nagoyo.

Most of photos in that post it's gone,only few photos of the Chinese made sword with 應 mark .I'm  talking about the swords with 刀劍鋼(Steel for sword) and the K in the star mark.

 

Do you know what the mounts were like,any photo's? You see, it's so rare to see numbers, stamps and writing on a Japanese sword blade, issue swords excepted, and so common to see the same on Chines blades of any age.

 Military Dadao are quite often marked up om the blade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave R said:

 

Do you know what the mounts were like,any photo's? You see, it's so rare to see numbers, stamps and writing on a Japanese sword blade, issue swords excepted, and so common to see the same on Chines blades of any age.

 Military Dadao are quite often marked up om the blade. 

Dave

I do not have any photo of that sword. I just translate the Kanji on that blade Stegel posted. And I noticed the similarity between the other mark on it and the KK mark on the Type 30 bayonet since Bruce asks about it.
I always agree with the marked blades were made in China for the puppet government. Collectors in China called those swords 偽軍刀 .Note,Is 偽軍-刀(Puppet Army Sword), not 偽-軍刀(Fake Gunto).

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dave R said:

 

 Using a reverse image search I tracked this back to a conversation on Gunboards in 2014   https://www.gunboards.com/threads/late-war-shin-gunto-or-post-war-tourist-copy.356639/   and of course all the photo's and links are dead, but ended at Ebay....

 

 

Good job, Dave.  That's the gunboard thread I mentioned in my earlier comment.

 

I tend to believe that these are Chinese made swords, for collaboration forces and maybe Japanese officers in need...?

 

On 1/16/2021 at 11:11 AM, Kiipu said:

Since posting, I have learned that the word leatherette could just mean "fake leather."

Artificial leather

 

However, in the context of World War II, the 2014 post could also be referring to what is called presstoff (also preßstoff or pressstoff).

Presstoff

 

The Japanese developed a saya (scabbard) cover made out of paper during the war too.

Pressed-paper Saya Cover

 

Hopefully, BangBangSan will also look into what the Chinese character(s) are and see if something like this was used in China during Word War II.

 

 

I enjoyed reading this, Thomas. I have a couple of swords with what I believe is artificial leather of some kind on the saya. They look similar to the presstoff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is where I downloaded the picture in my files.  It was posted back in 2015.  Possibly this is one of the sources of the picture.

Arsenal Stamps.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Kiipu said:

This is where I downloaded the picture in my files.  It was posted back in 2015.  Possibly this is one of the sources of the picture.

Arsenal Stamps.

That's a good link, as George Trotter commented that the quality of the fittings look good and the blade too (for a gunto).  So, fairly confirms it wasn't a Chinese made emergency sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, BANGBANGSAN said:

I thought we were talking about that K mark in the star, that blade says 刀劍鋼(Steel for sword).Not the 應 blade。I don't think that sword  was made in China at all.

 

1259150938_Thekanjijustsaysswordsteel.thumb.jpg.5f32ceb9557949fab7c45cd2110f327d.jpg

Found something about the 刀劍鋼 http://ohmura-study.net/791.html

 

WechatIMG1557.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Can you tell us what it says?

This page from Ohmura mentioned Type 95 used Army standard sword steel(刀劒鋼) and has some main ingredients and impurities date of the sword steel. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

standard sword steel(刀劒鋼)

This is an interesting subject by itself.  I'm seeing a variety of ways to mention the type of steel used in a blade by various smiths.  Some are written out on the nakago.  Some use stamps.  This one is actually on the blade.  I'm not aware of an edict requiring such mention (or else they all would do it), so there must be some sort of pride in the local steel used, like a marketing statement.  "Buy my sword, it's made of Yasugi Steel!"  That sort of thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 3:45 AM, Kiipu said:

 

The source of the second picture can be found at the same 2014 GBF thread above.  See post #7 by Stegel.  Direct link below.

Late War Shin Gunto, or post war tourist copy???

Thomas

Just a thought about the "治" mark Gunto. Many countries call the period under Japanese rule during WW2 日治時期,including 台灣(TaiWan),新加坡(Singapore),馬來西亞(Malaysia)and 印度尼西亞(Indonesia)etc.
Is it possible the   could be the abbreviation 統治(Ruling)instead of 明治(Meiji) for the arsenal in occupied countries?Or even means the sword for 治安隊(public security force)use?

NCO Shin Gunto 7 (1).jpg

2014-09-08 20.57.40的副本.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...