Tsuba mei help, Tanaka? Mito? Collab/Both?

terminus

I totally understand where you guys are getting that view. I think the mei looks like a cast or imprint too. However it does have NBTHK Hozon papers (attributing to a Yasumitsu? But I believe there is 2 signatures on this tsuba and a collab work). Here's the full tsuba omote: 
tsuba106-1.thumb.jpg.a787e9d39d37b35c0a9002699b86371a.jpg

1 hour ago, uwe said:

I guess you have it already Tony. If not, here my first try...

Right side: “㳒眼常信之図“ (first two possibly 法眼 = Hōgen)

Left side: “水市住安光” ?

But have still my doubts!

Thank you! I was wondering if this was truly a collaboration work between 2 smiths. I know one for sure is a Smith Yasumitsu from the Mito school, but the other one TSUNENOBU from Tanaka school? 

No, just the work of Yasumitsu. I don't quite understand why the other name says Nobutsune no kuni. If I hadn't see the dealer's site, I might have also said the last kanji on the right side is 図 (zu - illustration) like Uwe. In any case, my guess it that it points to an inspiration - an original work from Nobumitsu that Yasumitsu is copying, or some effect Yasumitsu is trying to replicate. 

30 minutes ago, SteveM said:

No, just the work of Yasumitsu. I don't quite understand why the other name says Nobutsune no kuni. If I hadn't see the dealer's site, I might have also said the last kanji on the right side is 図 (zu - illustration) like Uwe. In any case, my guess it that it points to an inspiration - an original work from Nobumitsu that Yasumitsu is copying, or some effect Yasumitsu is trying to replicate. 

Steve, can we interpret “之図” as “圖”? “no kuni” makes no sense, I think!?

No, its supposed to be 国 (or any of the other million variations). 

However, according to this site I just found today, it is a name (Yukikuni), and the work in question is indeed a gassaku.  Wakayama doesn't list this the name Yukikuni 

(之国) under any of the four possible "Tsunenobu" entries, but according to this dealer it is supposed to be a name of Fujiwara Tsunenobu, a late Edo artist along with Yasumitsu. I guess this is validated by the authentication paper, but it seems slightly unusual to not find the mei in Wakayama. 

http://aoyamafudo.co.jp/product/1630/

• Like 2

I think that the inscription on the right is “法眼常信之圖 (Hogen Tunenobu no zu)” as Uwe says. That means its theme was inspired by Hogen Tunenobu’s painting.

Ref. Tunenobu; Kanō Tsunenobu - Wikipedia

I suspect that the shop’s description which Steve refers is a misunderstanding.

There is a similar pattern of Yasumitsu’s mei on a tsuba inspired by Hogen Buncho no zu.

法眼文晁之圖, 水府住安光作

日本刀 猿猴捉月図鍔 法眼文晁之図 水府之住安光作 武龍斉|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword【イー・ソード】 (e-sword.jp)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nobody said:

I think that the inscription on the right is “法眼常信之圖 (Hogen Tunenobu no zu)” as Uwe says. That means its theme was inspired by Hogen Tunenobu’s painting.

Ref. Tunenobu; Kanō Tsunenobu - Wikipedia

I suspect that the shop’s description which Steve refers is a misunderstanding.

There is a similar pattern of Yasumitsu’s mei on a tsuba inspired by Hogen Buncho no zu.

法眼文晁之圖, 水府住安光作

日本刀 猿猴捉月図鍔 法眼文晁之図 水府之住安光作 武龍斉|日本刀 刀剣販売 e-sword【イー・ソード】 (e-sword.jp)

Wow, you just blew my mind. That  would make soo much sense! Kano Tsunenobu was an extremely famous painter early Edo period and that attribution just fits. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..