Gorgeous enough to tempt me into Nihonto!

Bruce Pennington

i know nothing of this smith but i thought the price was more then reasoanble. just look at the jigane, very evan and consistanly strong, the sunagushi is prominant, and all with a smattering of nie ji nie. whats not to love. tke boshi has me stumped tho. is that the biggest hakkikae or sand dune sized sunagushi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

i know nothing of this smith but i thought the price was more then reasoanble. just look at the jigane, very evan and consistanly strong, the sunagushi is prominant, and all with a smattering of nie ji nie. whats not to love. tke boshi has me stumped tho. is that the biggest hakkikae or sand dune sized sunagushi

Oh, I do agree that the price is right, I’m just crying at my empty pockets. :)

• Like 1

Yeah, there’s not much else I can do but cry! I could win the lottery, but... wait! I don’t play. I guess that you need to rob banks, marry a rich widow, become a hired killer or sell bth kidneys, three even if you can find a donor to collect nice swords. 

So I’m left with crying rivers... :sad:

• Like 2

Interesting to see to see this sword and its jigane, hamon. About two months ago I posted a mumei sword with a very similar forging and hamon. Initially, it was called a fake, Chinese, etc., but soon settled down once realizing it was a real sword. Discussion ended with it being called koto or shinshinto. I have considered sending it to Japan for shinsa once virus restrictions settle down. Now I wonder if it might be this same Yoshihiro??? or at least his group. Wonder if this sword was sold; seemed very fair priced if one liked the sword. Ron STL

2 hours ago, roger dundas said:

"DOES NOT SHIP TO AUSTRALIA".

I have seen this often enough also on tsuba for sale in the  US . Is there any particular reason for not wanting to ship here ?

Roger j

Usually unwilling to "bother with the hassle". The other option is they didn't set up international shipping in the listing, often sending a message to them will clarify if they will/won't ship here.

It's my sword.  I listed it on NMB last March, but didn't get any interest, so about a month ago I put it on eBay.

Anything I list on eBay is US sales only, simply because eBay tends to side with buyers, as does PayPal.  Unless a seller has indisputable evidence (and sometimes even that won't work) eBay gives the buyers the benefit of the doubt and in a lot of cases automatically refunds them.  I can't always get indisputable evidence in foreign countries or argue with their customs officials.  I've been burned enough that it's just not worth shipping international on eBay.  I'm not saying I've never been burned by US buyers, but it's just easier to fight it.

The NMB sales link above doesn't say no foreign sales, but yes I'd prefer to sell in the US.  I've sold several tsuba international, filling out a customs form is no big deal and shipping is relatively reasonable.  The big deal for blades is the shipping cost and value which influences customs fees on the other end.  Not to mention the threads on here of cases of customs (or shippers) destroying blades because of some asinine rule.  USPS will ship international, but with limited insurance and lately with a serious lack of reliability anywhere.  FedEx and UPS not much better insurance wise.  So...not absolutely opposed to selling blades international, just leery.

Hope that makes some kind of sense and thanks again for the kind words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..